Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weaning lambs  (Read 1917 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Weaning lambs
« on: September 14, 2015, 06:50:40 pm »
I've separated my lambs from their mums this year - usually they go straight off the mums to market but this time I'm keeping them a while, possibly till next year.

How long is it till they can go back in with the ewes and not start trying to suckle again?  I'm not sure yet whether they are going to go back, but just in case we get a lot of wet weather and they all have to go in the driest field.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Weaning lambs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 06:54:21 pm »
If they were April born or earlier, the ewes will have weaned them themselves.  Otherwise a couple of weeks should do it.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 06:57:49 pm »
They were April/May born and still suckling!  Some ewes had dropped off hence why I separated them.

Okay thanks for that, I should be able to keep them separate for quite a few weeks or permanently (depending on weather) so hopefully all will be well  :)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:28 pm »
We didn't have to wean last year as our girls did it naturally but this year we had a few more lambs so decided to split them off and within 24 hours the ewes looked like they'd been sent on a spar break!
Red

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS