Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Veg Beds  (Read 3364 times)

marty5787

• Joined Nov 2014
New Veg Beds
« on: September 14, 2015, 01:18:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a bit of advice! I am planning on turning 1/4 acre from one of our fields into a vegetable growing area. It is currently used for sheep but they are being moved elsewhere. My question is how best to turn it into something I can plant in.  So far I have narrowed it down to the following:

a. hand dig (lot of back breaking work though)
b. use tractor and rotovator attachment
c. plough this autumn and disc harrow next spring.

I should add I do have a tractor but none of the attachments mentioned above, so I would have to buy/hire as necessary. If anyone has any ideas as to the best way, good experience or bad it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Martin

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: New Veg Beds
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:02:53 am »
I'd plough then rotavate/disc depending on how it breaks up over winter. For a little area like that, you could try getting it ploughed for free - we managed that by getting a young lad who wanted practice for ploughing competitions with his mf35 and two furrow plough. Do you have a local ploughing society who might know someone in need of land to practice on?

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:05 am »
Check out Charles Dowding's videos on you tube about using deep mulch and no digging to turn a pasture into a productive veg patch. I always deep mulch and avoid digging whenever possible as I don't want to damage the soil. Digging breaks up the hyphae of the mychorrizal fungi that are so important to soils
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

muddypuddle

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:46:38 am »
I am not an expert but I would say it depends on what sort of land you have. If you have your own tractor as long as it's light weight I would see about a rotovator as ploughing can break up your soil structure a bit too much and also harder to get hold of this time of year as they are probably in use. Also if you have a heavy tractor running over a small area you are more likely to compact your ground and make it water logged (more so if you are on clay I would say).

marty5787

• Joined Nov 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »
Hi
Thanks for your answers, I like the idea of a no dig option but think I would struggle to get that amount of muck. I will also look into asking if someone needs practice ploughing I think the Welsh Championships are in a couple of weeks so will ask around if anyone needs the practice. Thanks again

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:44:47 pm »
Make friends with your local agricultural engineer... it's he who sourced my 2-furrow and disc harrows for me although I do regret not just getting a pto rotorvator.
I alternate 2 1/4 acre patches... it'll be time now to spray down the fallow one and plough it for the winter next month. It also helps if a nearby farmer is planning on some muck-spreading and doesn't mind a quick detour to splatter your patch before ploughing.
My fallow patch for each year gets all the hen-house waste chucked on it, any woodchippings, woodburner ashes, sawdust etc thrown on it to join the ploughing in arther than bother with compost making. One year i got 14 tons of rotten horse muck donated (had to fetch it)... horse owners have an abudance.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 10:02:08 pm »
How are you getting on with the cultivation Marty ?

One thought has occurred to me ..   If you can afford it perhaps hire a big beastie  pedestrian controlled rotavator from Brandon hire , Speedy hire or Touts if your around or in the Ammanford area .
One of the bigger self propelled multyi geared ones that have a metre width of tilling and can eventually get down to almost 500 mm deep after several passes  will take you about 10 hrs of solid graft to do your 1/4 of an acre.
As it's fairly dry at present there is no time as good as now to do it .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS