Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How long in the brooder?  (Read 2508 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
How long in the brooder?
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:53:29 pm »
Hi all how long dochicks stay inside under the lamp and when do you take the lamp away then put outside?

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: How long in the brooder?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 06:08:22 pm »
We tend to keep them under the heat lamp for 3-4 weeks.

Week 1 90-95F
Week 2 85-90F
Week 3 80-85F
Week 4 75-80F

Weeks 5&6 we moved the brooder to our dining room which is cooler (no radiator in that room but not draughty either) taking them outside during the day (when dry) and bringing them back in late afternoon.

They're now out in their own shed but won't be allowed into the run until next week. Won't let them freerange with the others 'til they're point of lay (unless we sell them  before that)

Hope this helps.

We're following a similar pattern with the Ducklings but they're a lot hardier and less stupid so not being quite so strict.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 10:38:13 pm »
I agree with Sam although I've never measured the temperature. The chicks tell me - all under the lamp in a heap, lower the lamp. All spread out in the box, too warm, so raise the lamp. After 4 weeks, lamp off during the day, sometimes before that if the weather is warm.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:45:26 pm »
Thanks both so are they ok out in their own coop at 6 weeks overnight? It'll be late May by then.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
The important thing to do is to get them used to being outside, harden them off if you like. Mine are outside now and we had a frost the other night. Went out in the morning and they were all ok! I've sectioned off a small area of one of the sheds so they are in with other Marans but don't have access to eachother. That way they get used to one another but there's no risk of fighting, also there's that bit of extra warmth generated by the older birds.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS