Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Growing Garlic  (Read 4207 times)

rustyme

Growing Garlic
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:40:43 pm »
http://www.garlicworld.co.uk/index.html

I thought that some may be interested in the above link about growing Garlic. It seems to have lots of very good information on there , as far as I have read. I hope it is of interest to you .

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:05:48 am »
thanks

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Growing Garlic
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:09:52 am »
Garlic is already being used in some products as a mollusc repellent but this research takes it a step further. Earlier work by Newcastle University also found that garlic kills slug eggs laid in the soil. The Newcastle University scientists looked at how applying a liquid containing garlic extract to soil affected slugs and snails’ movement through it. They also measured damage to a Chinese cabbage leaf. Garlic largely prevented the leaf from being eaten and killed a very high percentage of the creatures.
Lead researcher Dr Port said that the findings would be welcomed by organic gardeners looking for alternatives to pesticides. He said: “The research suggests that a home-made recipe of crushed garlic bulbs mixed with water could work on small-scale gardens.”

cool!!!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS