Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello - moving to the good life soon  (Read 5323 times)

millerdan

• Joined Sep 2015
Hello - moving to the good life soon
« on: September 12, 2015, 06:44:53 pm »
Hi there!

I'm Rachel, and in a few weeks we're moving to a lovely 10.5 acre spot in NE Lincs (currently in Yorkshire).  I simply cannot wait. For many years now me and my hubby have been talking about buying somewhere with land etc. and growing veg, keeping poultry and I have had a seriously longing for goats, and now it's just about to happen! :excited:  :excited:  :excited:

I am currently involved in the dog scene, showing and working my 5 Labrador Retrievers, I have bred and made up a full UK Champion who has proven herself not only in the show-ring, but also in the field.   And although I love my dogs, I'm now looking for new and different experiences with different animals.

I have been reading the forum avidly since my registration was approved, and I'm hoping to learn a lot from the more experienced people within this community.  I'm currently doing so much research on the needs of various animals etc. and whether they will be suitable for us to keep.  We're thinking initially of a few chickens, ducks and geese and a couple of goats (all as pets initially, although the eggs from the birds will be eaten).  And then we shall see...

Look forward to chatting with people  :wave:

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Hello - moving to the good life soon
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 09:39:03 pm »
Hi Millerdam - hope you have lots of fun setting up your new home  :thumbsup:

PS Goats are good - keep me almost sane :) Clare
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

uksfdawn

• Joined Sep 2015
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 10:07:06 pm »
 :wave: welcome from S Wales we made the move last year and have goats arriving next week

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »
Wonderful - it's great to follow your dreams - good luck with your new holding in Lincs.

With 10.5 acres you could keep a couple of cows - Shetlands are nice  :cow:  -we love our Shetlands...

Sue

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 08:40:07 am »
Good luck with the new venture. I agree with Sue  :hugcow: but don't keep Shetland cattle as pets.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:08:49 am »
Hello from Devon. Lucky you having it all in front of you and so much to enjoy. You may already know Annie (Doganjo) who has Brittanies, if not I'm sure she'll be in touch soon!

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 09:11:19 am »
Best of luck with it, we have also just moved and it is brilliant! 

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 09:54:40 am »
 :wave:welcome from north Lincolnshire. We will not be that far from you in Owston ferry.
We have a few sheep goats chickens and poly tunnels. I can put you in touch with local groups if you are interested

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 10:26:01 am »
Good luck - take your time to work out what suits you - 10.5 acres is a lot of grass if you let it get away - if your not ready for livestock maybe letting out your grazing on a seasonal let for the first year would keep it in good condition and allow you to work out what animals suit you and you want to keep - might even give you a small amount of cash or produce in return - worth thinking about early doors before you are neck deep in  grass

millerdan

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 01:33:58 pm »
:wave:welcome from north Lincolnshire. We will not be that far from you in Owston ferry.
We have a few sheep goats chickens and poly tunnels. I can put you in touch with local groups if you are interested

That would be great if you could?

nikks14

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 03:41:25 pm »
Hello, we are moving to 10 acres soon in Lincolnshire and just starting out we will be near Louth I wonder if we will be close enough to meet up for shared experiences  :D

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 02:26:51 pm »
Welcome and jealous you have more land than me   :farmer: I have been loving my first year and have got most of what is on your wish list. Having goat cuddles in the morning makes it worthwhile getting out of bed, although my Labs do make sure I am awake and don't press snooze too many times!

Good luck!
________
Caroline

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 02:40:42 pm »
Welcome!

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS