Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When can they run free?  (Read 2515 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
When can they run free?
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:12:28 pm »
Hi all

We have 4 orphan ewe lambs who are now almost 4 weeks old and doing reallly well. We've been keeping them in the garage in a 6'x4' pen and letting them out in the same size pen during the day. They now need more room and I was wondering when we could let them out permanently. They will be sharing a 2 acre paddock with our 6 badger face sheep. Should we separate them to start with or just let them run free?

Thanks all

Sharon
 :sheep:

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: When can they run free?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »
Think I would turn them out with the others now, they will still come to you to be fed, the others may chase them around or butt them out of the way, but at 4 weeks old I reckon they'd be ok now. We kept our orphans in a separate paddock until weaning last year then they all integrated really well, good luck its lovely to see them running around in lots of space, watch them they will probably have races!

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »
If possible still bring them in at night, will also give their tummies a chance to get used to the spring grass coming through, after all the effort you dont want them getting bloat now and 4 - 8 weeks is the danger time to watch out for it. Are they eating creep yet?
It will be great to see them running around with the flock. :sheep:

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:09:22 pm »
My lambs now are out during the day, according to weather. But i bring them in at night and spoil them by switching on a very low wattage heat bulb, as we have still had a few nights where we have had frost, nothing nicer than seeing them running to the gate when i get home from school  ;D

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:58:20 pm »
Yes they are eating creep and are on the ad-lib feeder. I was going to ask about bringing them in at night, so thanks for that, it will be useful. We have yet to erect the mobile field shelter (The badgers are very hardy!) so they will have to come back in to the garage at night. They've been nibbling at the grass when I've put them outside in the pen, so all good signs.
Thanks guys
 :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS