Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lobbing apples to sheep  (Read 6130 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Lobbing apples to sheep
« on: September 13, 2015, 11:22:30 pm »
This time I have so many apples which have fallen that it is most convenient to lob them into my fields for the sheep to eat.I rent the grazing out .
Could the apples be making them a bit loose....is it a case of all things in moderation.
What about plums pears and damsons?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Lobbing apples to sheep
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:30:39 pm »
Yes they could

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:15:41 am »
Any difference between cooking or eating apples..I do notice they seem to sniff them first and sometime reject them.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:28:27 am »
Yup a few get mine loose, primitives seem to take them better - perhaps as they are adapted to browsing, but mules and texel x in my exp turn to water if getting regular access.

cooking apples tend to be rejected, abit tart.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:06:42 pm »
Some of mine love them, others not so fussed but they dont get enough to get a runny bottom from them. Runny bottoms could also be a flush of wet grass.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 01:50:12 pm »
too many apples = acidosis.... not a good idea.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:35:03 pm »
Watch out for choking if they try to gobble them up in one go.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 03:55:53 pm »
Fed the sheepies a bucketful of apples every day for several years during the apple season. Not had a problem with the runs or acidosis but they get bored of them relatively quickly.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 01:22:36 pm »
Are they your sheep? Just thinking I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled about someone feeding mine more than the very occassional apple, and definitely not something with stones, but of course if they are yours that's up to you.

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 08:17:05 pm »
no they are not my sheep...I just rent the field to a local character..he's 80 and he just keeps them for something to do. There's about 60 lambs and ewes...plenty of grass..they have about 8 acres and another 4 set aside for the winter.He come's occasionally to see them...I just get on the phone if I think there's a problem.
We've both rubbed along for 3 years...he likes my fencing and I want the fields kept tidy.
Regarding the apples...opinion seem to be sharply divided. Whenever the sheep hear my front door go..they
make a noise wanting apples..this carries on till the Winter.It's a though they have conditioned me...like a baby crying to be fed
I use to throw over garden cuttings but I've stopped doing that....it's a bit awkward though when I want to get a bonfire going..

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS