Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 Bed system  (Read 2477 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
2 Bed system
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:18 pm »
Another question - sorry but Ill try and keep them down  ;D

All of the info I have read on veg suggests a 3 bed system of Legumes, Roots and Brassicas that rotate each year. At the moment I only have room for 2 beds, so was planning on putting Legumes in one, Brassica in the other and splitting carrots and parsnips between them (tatties can go elsewhere).

Would this work?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: 2 Bed system
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:56:59 pm »
My understanding of crop rotation was that a fourth area was left to rest - so you could divide your two into four and have a four bed system.

Dr Hessayon is very good on this

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:46:16 pm »
I would make smaller beds as brassicas etc like manure and root crops dont as it causes them to fork. Roots need a bed that has not been manured that year so they grow straight and long in search for food instead of branching out with it being all around them. That is why roots usually follow potatoes. Hermit

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:15 am »
Just for your interest egbert in the Google box type  Dr George Cook Liverpool click then scroll down to the first post after the amazon type ads and click Dr George Cook its the first after Have a look and tell us what you think :D ;D ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:42:38 am »
I have had a look through the site Wizard. Now that is a big allotment - or is it normal and just looks huge to me? He says on the home page that an allotment can feed a family of 4 - if he means one the size of his, then I have no where near enough space yet! Well if I get the hang of this I can always expand  :D

I like the nice clear explanations of his veg growing. Definitely answered some questions for me anyway. I have got a book or 2 but reading others peoples efforts with pictures makes it so much easier. Ill be adding that to my bookmarks I think!

Right - I am off to look at my garden to see where I can put the carrots outside of the beds, since they have been manured.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 04:25:02 pm »
Hello egbert I am pleased you like Dr George I think I would allow him to advise me don't you? :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS