Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Seed Beds  (Read 2850 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Seed Beds
« on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:28 pm »
I have been reading through the backs of seed packets deciding what I can plant now etc - and a lot of the veg say to start off in a seed bed and then transplant to final resting place when a certain size.

Do they have to go in a seed bed first - and why? Why can't seeds just go into the one growing place - what special about the seed bed?

I assume this is not necessary due to the number of people with small space who are growing vegs and don't have separate beds. . . .

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Seed Beds
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:35 pm »
I have never made an old fashioned  seed bed in all the years I have been growing veg.I have started veg off inside such as brassicas, sweet corn,beans, large plant type veg etc in toilet rolls, and then put the whole thing out.Roots dont like being touched when growing so I plant them straight out and thin while harvesting.Leeks get started in a deep seed tray then put out. Onions as sets and potatoes in stu. The rest get thinned as seedlings in the rows where they are going to live. Never had any problems. Hermit

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
Thanks Hermit - goot tip on the leeks too.  :)

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 09:45:31 am »
My understanding is that seed beds allow you to manage your land more efficiently, but not necessarily produce better veg than if you plant out the seedlings direct!

For example, if you are growing winter brassicas, they need to be sown by summer, and will soon get too big for seed trays, but if you plant them straight out they will be taking up that bit of land for ages as they slowly grow. If you set aside a smaller piece of land for a seed bed, where you can plant the brassica much more densely, you can grow something fab and summery like beans or tomatoes on the other bit. When they are done you quickly clear the land and transplant the brassica at their final spacings.

Or something like that?! Well hopefully that's what I'll try this year anyway  :popcorn:  8)
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 10:10:33 am »
That does make sense. I think I need a bit more practice as that sounds like you need to be super organised, and I am still trying to get my head round what goes in which bed.

I never thought/heard of using toilet rolls before either. I have been used the biodegradable peat pots for seeds - my windowsill is just starting to sprout which my 4 year old and I are finding very exciting. Unfortunately i have realised I have planted some too early, like sunflowers which are growing the fastest but according to the packet its too early for them to be outside, and they dont like being moved. Oops.

spencers mum

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 10:21:41 pm »
Hi there Egbert  :wave:- have just read your postings!  I too am growing many veg for the first time.  I'm sure you know this already, but a tip I had for sweetpeas (if you do) is to grow these in toilet roll inners.  I've done this since feb and now am beginning to plant out with some success.  Similarly I've grown some seeds far too early.  Many have not survived and it's cost financially a bit but I've learnt for next time.  My second lot of Marigold's are now ready to pot on so I'll have another go and see how we get on.  In the ground I've got carrots,  :yum:parsnips, beetroot, onions, early peas/beans, sweetcorn and a few flower seeds and dahlias (hoping for a mini cutting garden!)   :bouquet:In the teeny greenhouse there are some herbs, tomato plants, broccoli seedlings and salads........here's hoping ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS