Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Snow!  (Read 1824 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Snow!
« on: March 31, 2010, 08:25:46 am »
I just spent last weekend forking in manure and putting the 1st seeds in the raised beds, and now the forecast is back to winter!
Will this stop my seeds from growing completely or should I put some fleece over them? Im in the Midlands so we might avoid snow if we are lucky. Has anyone else planted seeds yet?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Snow!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 09:38:42 am »
I'm also in the midlands and have planted seeds and put my potatoes out. saw the snow forecast and uttered a few profanities I must admit!!
the farmers opposite have a nice big white 'blanket' over their fields, am assuming this means they believe the forecast or know that we are going to be cold enough for seeds to be killed off  :(  might have to cover veg patch up I think.
Just got back from school run and its freezing out there! feels like december/jan again.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Snow!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:50:34 am »
Hello Egbert As you may know I only box garden but I have planted my Lady Crystl, Red Duke of York, White Duke of York and Home Guard Earlies and several lots of seed in pans ready to plant out when big enough I have also sown Gardeners Delight and Tumbling Tom seed in my little cold green house along with 30 pots of Scarlet Emperor.I have bought a packet of dwarf kidney beans to try this season.If it  looks like being frosty I will cover the potato's with Bubble wrap  ???I don't have faith in fleece to combat frost ;D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS