Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can anyone help - I need someone to "process" my meat birds in Dorset??  (Read 2319 times)

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
 :chook:

Hi

I have reared a number of birds for the table this year - and I did have someone lined up to kill and dress them for the table - but they have let me down. Due to having two knackered shoulders myself it is not something that I can do myself.

I think Honiton is the nearest processing place - but either way I don't think they would do my 15.

Can anyone suggest someone - we are drawing a blank and meanwhile the birds are getting pretty big!

Obviously willing to pay in cash, or part chicken/part lamb/part pork or bacon!!

Many thanks in advance.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Can anyone help - I need someone to "process" my meat birds in Dorset??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:14:06 am »
Are you looking a proper processing place or just someone to pop over and do them for you?

There doesn't seem to be any processers interested in doing small numbers or at least not cheaply but if you find any please let us know, there have been many people looking for the same on TAS.

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:04:35 pm »
Thank you for your reply Clansman, I am looking for anyone or anyhow to get them oven ready - open to any suggestions at this point  :fc:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:19:27 pm »
Legally if you don't get them done by a proper certified processor then you should only be doing them yourself for your own consumption.

Getting someone in to do them for you as a favour isn't actually legal anymore however they could buy them off you process them and leave them in your freezer to store. :innocent:

Furryears

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »
Thank you Clansman - I didn't realise that.

Okay, well if anyone would like to buy them from me to kill and then store them in our freezer etc then please let me know  :thumbsup:

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:58:58 am »
If it's of any help you could try Otter Valley Poultry at Honiton - a small family firm with their own on farm abbatoir and butchers.

http://www.ottervalleypoultry.co.uk/

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:28:58 pm »
Would be handy to make a list of poultry processers around the country  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS