Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 questions about getting rid of gorse.....  (Read 9467 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
2 questions about getting rid of gorse.....
« on: September 09, 2015, 11:44:24 am »
2questions what time of year would be best for getting rid of gorse? Also can anyone recommend a contractor which would do it, in ceredigion, ??
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:53:14 pm by Dan »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: 2 questions.....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
Not an answer for you but hoping to tag onto this topic and find out whether gorse is a problem or not.  We have a few large patches of it on our land and I notice that the previous owner had cut some of it and piled the pieces nearby, I'm not sure if he intended to burn it or not. 

Is gorse likely to spread further and should we get rid of it?  The few sheep that we have seem to like going into it, particularly when the weather is wet.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: 2 questions about getting rid of gorse.....
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »
Is it in the middle of the field? If its in the hedges I would leave it and make sure it doesn't spread. The problem with my sloping fields is that the previous Tennant to me neglected the sloping fields and in really trying hard to get rid of it.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 01:54:30 pm »
Best this time of year when there aren't any ground nesting birds to disturb. Use a loader tractor or skidsteer with a bucket on the front and just drive pulling it out roots and all, then bit of diesel and burn the pile.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:08 pm »
It will spread, slowly, yes.  It's great shelter for cattle but can be a problem with sheep - they can get tangled and caught up in it, and it can be very difficult to get at them to free them.  Or indeed to reach a sheep that's poorly and has gone in there to hole up.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 11:31:04 pm »
We have spent alot of time trying to beat gorse back where its not wanted.

But to be fair - its useful up here - in a few places here and there.  I know stuff goes in there to die - but if you know where to look, its a shelter and you know where stuff has gone when it maybe ill.

Not saying you want it everywhere, but a few patches here and there give not only dieing space, but shelter.

We have cut alot back - nightmare as it keeps coming back - stalks are still protruding.  But over time it will go back - but I have given up on certain slopes,.  Cant do it every year.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:32:28 pm »
Chainsaw, hatchet and graft. - Only tools required.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 07:44:17 am »
Chainsaw, hatchet and graft. - Only tools required.
................. and time .......which is the limiting factor  :(
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:18 am »
A Clydie  ;D  the big fella really knocked it back by eating it and stomping on the small stuff
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »
Everything takes time - or money - depends which you have most of.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 12:50:16 pm »
On one of the history farming props  (Victorian Farm?) They cut it and bashed it for animal feed, or if you garden it is supposed to keep mice off peas and bean seeds. If you have hedges push some into gaps to fill in?

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 02:00:59 pm »
Just pulled a load up very easily including most of the roots using a Discovery. It will be burned.

:thumbsup:
Helen

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 02:06:52 pm »
I spent days clearing gorse on some foot access only steep rented land, as soon as the gorse was clear, the grass was green and the fences were fixed they decided they "fancied breeding a few sheep again" - beware

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:21:20 am »
I spent days clearing gorse on some foot access only steep rented land, as soon as the gorse was clear, the grass was green and the fences were fixed they decided they "fancied breeding a few sheep again" - beware

Been there, done that Me!! Gorse is great for burning in a bread type oven as it burns very hot, or in a Rayburn if you need hot water or a hot oven in a hurry.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 01:33:47 pm »
A bit off topic, but most old Guernsey farmhouses had a "furze oven" - furze being the term used for gorse in Buernsey, and as Devonlady says, they used to burn gorse in the oven to heat is before baking bread etc. needless to say, they are mostly gentrified now as Guernsey farmhouses fetch huge prices and are owned by doctors,in private practice and lawyers! Bet they don't burn gorse in them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS