Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Warts on teats  (Read 9834 times)

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
Re: Warts on teats
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:22 pm »
Had a look at your site all good info but nothing on treatment and not focused on the wart like growth that I have. Prevention is better than cure in most of these cases ie good diet and supplements but I took this ewe on knowing what she had. I'll hang in there with this thread and see if any one comes up with anything. Or had a similar issue... I'm going to let them graze a few more weeks before they are due to be culled anyway... Still always nice to give an animal a second chance if possible

Thanks for all the replies so far

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 09:44:57 pm »
Also anymore thoughts on the freezing method there are loads of products for humans on the market surely they would have the same effect on the ewe??? The trouble being such a sensitive area!!! If it was anywhere else I'd just give one of them a try but sceptical being its on the teat

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 10:15:13 pm »
Funnily enough i found one of my ewes has the same today. Not sure what to do, probably ignore it, and see what happens at lambing time. At least she is a big chunky ewe, so will have a decent cull value.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 10:21:18 pm »
Is yours on both teats like mine??

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 10:26:58 pm »
Yer, from what I saw. Not hard, or warm, just some warts on teats where they connect to the bag. She is an old ewe, so if she has another pair of lambs and rears them then that's great, if she doesn't, she has to go.

Judey

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 10:28:50 pm »
I don't think this would prevent the lambs from sucking. Did you check there was milk there when she had her lambs. I did wonder if that was scar tissue rather than warts? If that's so there may be no milking ability. Warts will usually clear up by themselves in time.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:25 am »
That was caused sometime in the past by over vigorous lambs that have damaged her tears by biting on them.  Probably when the ewe was very young and her tears very soft. Maybe she reared twins as a ewe lamb, that can make a huge mess of a young ewes teats. There's no reason at all why she can't raise lambs again if teats express milk and udder not hard and lumpy.

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 08:39:09 am »
So you don't think its warts at all? That's good news to a degree just wondering why he took the lambs off her then I'll have to go back to him and ask if she had milk tbh I don't think he even gave the lambs a chance to suckle or learn to and I doubt he'll know how much milk she had either as the lamb was taken off her...

Is she worth putting to the ram again this year or would you not bother???

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 12:29:13 pm »
 IF I looked I could find teats like this in my ewes easily , wouldn't give it second thought .  As ZAK  and the article say its just proud healed tissue .  if the ewes milk supply and the lambs demand are not equal then  chaffing /cracking / splitting can occur the lamb tries to suckle and the ewe tries to not let as she's sore ( happens in all  milk feeding mammals including women )   this can lead to mastitis , early weaned lambs / teat damage which heals to leave proud flesh

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:58 pm »
Thanks for elaborating the article shep now i can see why you pointed me there I just assumed they were warts..
I got hold of my friend he said that she didn't have a lot of milk in her but when I saw them last she wasn't in good condition at all very skittery and thin this summer she has come on leaps and bounds after he wormed her and has had her out on good pature. I think half the problem with the lack of milk was due to her condition then.

If I make sure she has enough  concentrates this year and she is kept in top condition hopefully she will do another turn about. It's a hard call he got rid off her because he didn't want to put her back to the ram but on the other hand I know he didn't give her the best of chances given that she was forgotten about really. Would like to see her mother another lamb but also don't want to be stuck with a pet lamb either.

I suppose if you don't try you'll never find out ???? thanks for the advise all much appreciated

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2015, 06:29:24 pm »
Sounds like she had a hard time so no wonder she had teat trouble , I  wouldn't consider culling so long as the teat canal feels soft

perkhar

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »
I'll give her another thourgh check this weekend when I can pen her and if she's clear in that sense I'll just put her to the ram to give her a chance worst case scenario we will have to feed a lamb that could happen with any ewe

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2015, 09:33:17 pm »
I agree most likely scar tissue / proud flesh from previous teat damage. I would check her udder and teats very carefully, if you can feel any nodules actually inside the teat canal then she may have a problem with blocked or partially blocked teats so won't have a good milk supply for lambs.   Good that you have got her back to good health though, and hopefully in this condition if the scarring is just external only she should be able to rear lambs next year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS