Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PMSG  (Read 10439 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re: PMSG
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 08:41:03 pm »
Here's hoping!  I will double check but yellow/bright orange should show up pretty well on black.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 09:28:56 pm »
My understanding is that once the sponge is removed it is 48 hours after that you put the tup in. I would say you didn't wait long enough at 12 hours but if the tup has now been in 48 hours he might well be having a busy night.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 08:17:11 am »
 >:( >:( >:( >:(  :o the feeling when you go down to field and there are no yellow bums and on the walk back thinking of all the words you can't say to the vet because you might need them to screw up again (this is not the first Time!)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:58 am »
Oh dear. Did they know they were primitive type things?
You can take the sheep out of the mountains but you can't take the mountains out of the sheep ...?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 08:47:34 am »
I know some people who don't inject and others who do and some people take the sponges out at 12 days and some 13 and 14. I can't see that the vet can not have inserted the sponges properly, it's not that difficult is it. I suppose the sponges might be dodgy but then you say your tup was interested but not mounting. Maybe you need to look at your tup.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Re:PMSG
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 11:45:10 am »
It was the raddel. Went down just there and had a we look at the sheep for about 10 minutes and the top is jumping, the ewes are cycling and the raddel is not working. Getting some raddel powder later on today and I will be able to see what is really happening.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re:PMSG
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:45 pm »
It was the raddel. Went down just there and had a we look at the sheep for about 10 minutes and the top is jumping, the ewes are cycling and the raddel is not working. Getting some raddel powder later on today and I will be able to see what is really happening.

Close one then ;)  :relief:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 06:32:26 pm »
Ah good news  :relief:

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 06:50:14 pm »
 Yeh I was very lucky I saw that was loosing hope and about to go up. He is now sporting half a machines tup of raddel on he's Chet and stomach just to make sure.

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 08:17:02 pm »
The tup has sort of lost interest does this mean that they have all been mated? He is not curling his lip as often. People have told me that they have seen the ewes stand for him as they drive by so sounds good. The raddel paste is not working, is there any raddel that works on hebs?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 08:24:13 pm »
White paint or similar/oil mix? There are white powdery paints for children (meant to be mixed with water)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »
Will keep an eye out

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »
If he has tupped them all it will be a quiet two weeks or so (cycle is 17 days) and to see if any repeat (or he is firing blanks) it would be advisable to put some more (diff colour) raddle paste on him (or whatever shows up) in two weeks time (counted from the day he was let in to the girls).

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:53 pm »
The only problem is that by the 29th he has to be out as then the lambs will be born outside of my holiday so I will instead have to leave it to the last weekend in October and have them scanned and re tup those that are not in lamb to have an April lambing which is when I will next be off.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 09:20:26 pm »
Sounds feasible. But why the scanning so early? You could always take the tup out now (or before his 1st cycle is up) and then re-introduce (without scanning) with fresh raddle paste when you have calculated you can lamb again. Any that are empty will still cycle in November and be covered by him then. Only problem is if he is firing blanks you may end up with no lambs, as getting hold of a new tup in November may be tricky.. (ask me how I know...).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS