Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: calf teats  (Read 3745 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
calf teats
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:08:03 am »
Sorry for this rant guys..... I really want to complain about the rubber calf teats you can buy. They are far too hard for the calves mouths and as a consequence it takes half an hour per calf to feed. I need to buy some soft calf teats, but I can't find them anywhere can anyone recommend a supplier? I was thinking of a stern anonymous letter to the makers of this pointless invention  :rant: :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: calf teats
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 09:18:37 am »
You need not be anonymous WBF. If folk don't let them know, they can't improve their products. You may try boiling the teats to soften them meanwhile.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:58 am »
I find the opposite actually. :thinking: I presume you're referring to those black ones that you push onto the bottle top?
I've tried less rigid ones and find they are too supple and double over when you're trying to get them into the calves mouth.
Could it be that your problem is that the calf isn't in sucking mode to start with? I've found that any calf in full sucking/seeking mode will try and latch onto anything as it roots about. You therefore need a fairly rigid teat to get it in the calves mouth before it has bent the teat over with its pushing. I also find you need to enlarge the existing hole in the teat quite considerably so the milk almost drips out on its own. Then as soon as the calf gets near it, it can taste the milk and latches on.
If it's taking you half an hour to get a willing calf to feed, then possibly your problem is something more than the design of teat?
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:28 am »
I find the opposite actually. :thinking: I presume you're referring to those black ones that you push onto the bottle top?
I've tried less rigid ones and find they are too supple and double over when you're trying to get them into the calves mouth.
Could it be that your problem is that the calf isn't in sucking mode to start with? I've found that any calf in full sucking/seeking mode will try and latch onto anything as it roots about. You therefore need a fairly rigid teat to get it in the calves mouth before it has bent the teat over with its pushing. I also find you need to enlarge the existing hole in the teat quite considerably so the milk almost drips out on its own. Then as soon as the calf gets near it, it can taste the milk and latches on.
If it's taking you half an hour to get a willing calf to feed, then possibly your problem is something more than the design of teat?
No I mean the white and red big rubber ones. My local farming store don't sell any other teats, I have tried ebay but its no use. I was hoping you guys could suggest a supplier? The calves are suckling fine no problem there, if I enlarge the hole it just pours out and they cough. I just can't find a softer teat the hard rubber ones are useless, but its only those I can buy, for the buckets that is. I can feed them via lamb bottle with soft  calf teats though, but they can't fit into the calf buckets, I have tried believe me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paragon-Calf-Teat-Bucket-Moulded-White-/361060411706?hash=item5410e0a93a
These are the only ones I can get. :rant:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:20:43 am by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 11:37:02 am »
Right. Ok I see your problem.
I'd  assumed it was the initial getting a calve to suck that was your problem, as usually once they've cottoned on about a teat, or seen other calves feeding, then hunger will drive them to persist.
Do you think it is a problem with water buffalo calves? Maybe find out what sort of teats other producers use, or how they overcome the problem? 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 11:47:58 am »
No water buffalo calves suckle as strong as any cow calf, at least that's what my brother said and he rears commercial dairy calves from birth. I have been wondering about this teat though, why is it so hard? surely if you are making a calf teat it should try and replicate the cows teat? Yep I will inquire what teats other buffalo farmers use. Am going to try and get these for next year when there will be a lot of calves.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFS-Milk-Calf-Feeder-3-Compartment-Milk-Bar-Feeder-Teat-Bucket-/161804250496?hash=item25ac48ed80
I can then put these in each pen. We're smallish scale atm, but will be much larger next yr, so I have to be prepared for around about 30 calves, thats just in spring :tired: about another 13 near autumn.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS