Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brush cutter  (Read 5264 times)

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
Brush cutter
« on: September 05, 2015, 06:18:27 pm »
Does any one use one for cutting rushes? I am looking to buy one but hate starting with the recoil pull, well I often fail. I have been cutting some with my battery bosch hedgetrimmer but that isn't very good for my back. If any one knows of an easy start machine that is up to the job I would love to hear about it.

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Brush cutter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »
I use a sthil fs56c with a 3mm? squarecord which chews through them slowly at ground level without breaking the cord too often. being a new model it is pull cord but easy to start (never failed in 2 years) as you just pump the fuel afew times then set the choke to full on and once running the choke automatically cuts out. Good but fairly slow and expensive to buy.

I also have a BC 2145 brush cutter which is probably twice as powerfull and with a disc on makes short work of the toughest rushes and even chews through the mounds of purple moor grass. Apart from a tractor mounted unit I doubt there is anything better than the BC 2145 but it is heavy requiring a full harness. This machine has cut acres of rushes,brambles, and grass tumps and even chews through 1 to 2 inch gorse.

Your only other option is to spray.

Regen

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:33:57 am »
We have an Efco (36cc I think) which was bought for doing rushes.  Never had any problems starting and it does the job. 
It is definitely worth getting one with enough power to use a metal blade and sharpening the blade now and again - much better in rushes than the plastic wire.
A decent harness makes a big difference to how tired you get and will probably help your back.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 05:52:22 am »
I've got three strimmers. A little light one I can use one-handed to reach awkward bits, a big husquvarna with it's full harness and a brand i can't remember that I bought a couple of months back on ebay ;cos it sounded like a bargain new at £60 with a simple sling harness..
The problem with the husky is that the cord is a pain to rethread when it snaps and doesn't have a bump feed. I did buy a bump feed head to fit it but it kept melting. Finally i realised that the husky works very very well so long as you keep the throttle only at half speed then the cord lasts. I use it around the ponds and ditches...mostly its bull rush type rushes rather then meadow rushes (topper those)
The ebay jobbie I have with a metal brush blade on and is fine.. and remarkable value. But metal blades in awkward areas etc... well I'm forever finding stones and fallen logs with it

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:38 pm »
How much do you have to cut?  Mountfield do a battery brushcutter/strimmer (changeable head - cutting disc or strimmer line).  40V, lasts about 45mins (which is about as long as I can be bothered doing at one time!).  Copes with bracken and brambles so it'd be fine on rushes.

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:47:11 pm »
Thanks, after a bit of research I have decided to go with the Mountfield, I'll let you know how I get on. There's about 15 acres with patchy rush some patches quite dense but often only one or two sporadic ones. I think forty minutes is about the right time to recharge my battery so that will suit me fine.

Llandovery Lass

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 05:48:08 pm »
Well I have had the baby for three days and used the battery each day. It slices through rushes with ease and I can find the energy to run the battery down in one go, I'm very pleased with it and hoping to use it as my daily workout. Some vibration and slightly shaky hands for a while but getting better each day.
Thanks for your help.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 08:23:33 pm »
LL may I suggest that you think of wearing some thick anti vibration gloves when using he cutter.
For some folk who are heading to being diabetics the vibrations can cause nerve damage in the fingers and hands ( aka " White Finger )  .
If ever you get tired or feel your hands & fingers getting numb  stop using the machine till your hands are back to normal .

It could also be that you are gripping the machine too tight when you get those shaky hands etc.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
Glad you are getting on so well with it - i love mine, was out cutting bracken yesterday :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS