Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and wood ash  (Read 1947 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Pigs and wood ash
« on: September 14, 2015, 07:56:56 pm »
Hi,

having cleared the wood for my piggy paradise we had a fire at one end to burn all the hedge trimmings, bracken and pine twigs. Can I leave the wood ash if I spread it around or work it in to turned soil or would I need to remove it before the pigs go in?

I have filled the skip that I ordered with rubble and pine needles along with all sorts of other bits or crap and dont have anywhere to dump the ash.

Any Ideas?

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Pigs and wood ash
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 12:07:50 pm »
Last summer I had a grand weed clearance of docks, thistles and ragwort in a new section of paddock for the pigs and also the remnant branches and trunks etc., of the fir trees that had been cut down. I just made a huge solid bonfire which was about 14 feet high and 20 feet across, waited until all the greenery had dried out and was brown then set fire to it. It burned for about 10 days, I kept turning and shovelling any unburnt bits back into the centre and it ended in a small heap of pure ash about 2 feet high and 3 feet across. After it had cooled completely, I just spread it around a bit and let the pigs in the new area. They briefly investigated the ash, spread it around a bit more and trod it in the ground, after a couple of rainfalls there was little to see. Since then I have broadcast grass seed over the area and it's now grassing over nicely - albeit with the odd rooting hole here and there.
Basically, the ash from vegetation and trees is simply potash which is good for the soil, the important thing is to turn it all into ash by paying regular attention to the bonfire - don't leave any partially or unburnt bits lying around - especially anything that in it's 'green' state could be poisonus.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Pigs and wood ash
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:57 pm »
Thats great Cos,
ours was a similar bonfire but we burnt smaller quantities day after day as it gently smoldered and would occasionally leap back into life as it felt like it. The charcoal burnt down to just fine ash so I will spread it and let the rain work it in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS