Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted - Sheep in yorkshire - anything considered  (Read 6307 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Wanted - Sheep in yorkshire - anything considered
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 03:07:25 pm »
Indeed.  John Ellman and Robert Bakewell did just that a couple of centuries ago.  If you start off with any sheep breed it will evolve over time.  Our Badger Face are a mountain breed but, on our good grazing and five generations on, are probably 10-15% heavier than their mountain counterparts and will mostly produce twins. 

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 03:16:35 pm »
Hi Coximus- I have pm'd you about the lambs.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »
ta for reminding me - just replied - your msg had got a few jots up the list so sorry for not replying!

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 10:22:28 pm »
Thought about NCC?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 07:55:53 am »
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 01:16:03 pm »
North Country Cheviot

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 05:47:20 pm »
I;ve only ever heard that NCC got fat quick in my area, and they are unusual in the marts round here - that said if someone had half a dozen id give em ago

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »
The Cheviot sales are about to start / have just started at Longtown Mart.  We call them the bunny rabbits, little things with loooong ears!  We buy some sometimes, they grow slowly over winter and make very good prime hoggs to sell late winter/early spring, when prices are usually very good.

We got burned one year though, having bought 64 bunny rabbits to eat up a load of grass over winter, when the snow came in November and stayed for 6 weeks.  So we had to feed the 64 on hay and cake, they wouldn't all eat cake... nonetheless we still made a small profit on them.

They always seem very expensive to buy, and there will therefore be some years when you won't make a profit, even if they need nothing more than your grass and a few fluke doses.

They are generally sold in large pens; we managed to buy 20 one year, but mostly 50 is the smallest number in a pen.

And you either need to talk to the auctioneer or be good at knowing which are NCC and which the Southern type...  I still can't get my head around it myself, so we just get the auctioneer to tell us which pens would suit us.  There's a post here from mowhaugh explaining the different types - clear as mud!   :D  ???  :dunce:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS