Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys like 1980's music!  (Read 2403 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Turkeys like 1980's music!
« on: August 30, 2015, 04:25:42 pm »
I have 3 turkeys destined for Christmas and they are all stags.  Today my OH was working in the shed near them and had the radio playing "Best of the '80s" songs and the turkeys were really strutting their stuff.  Switch off the music and they calm down.  Put it on again and off they go.  Anyone else seen this?

Also, am I likely to have a problem with 3 stags on their own?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Turkeys like 1980's music!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 09:21:06 am »
Im new to Turkeys but I think my boys and girls are just GREAT! I haven't tried them with tunes but they are confined to quarters today in an attempt to get them to adopt their new coop so I will try out a selection of music genres and see what they make of it.

My babies are a heritage breed so may respond better to chamber music  :-J

:farmer::turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: = :love:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »
Well known fact is poultry like classical music when they are at the inside rearing stage. They will listen to other music, but classical gets the best results.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:25:32 pm »
Which are what exactly Chris?   ;D

BTW, our peafowl are punks. They love The Clash, leave mess and destruction everywhere and even have mohicans!  :roflanim:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 12:35:14 pm »
 :roflanim:

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 01:28:41 pm »

Also, am I likely to have a problem with 3 stags on their own?

Nope, should be fine raised together.

I'm the opposite this year, i'm raising hens only to keep the noise down!  :innocent:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:43:59 am »
So far it looks like I have 2 boys and 4 girls. They are 8 weeks old and the little boys occasionally do the full fanned tail, dropped wing thing. How long can I run them all together?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:58 pm »
They'll be fine together, they might start mating at around 5 months or so and the hens backs may be damaged by the stags feet though.

Are they for Christmas?

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:57 pm »
No I dont think so Clansman. I hoped to keep the hens and buy an unrelated stag to breed future generations but I think that the stags in this group will need  longer than 5 months to mature. Looks like it will be lamb again this year.

I am popping one to the vet in half an hour she is not looking well. I will probably take the one with the bent neck to to keep her company. I am guessing that its something bacterial but I would really rather not loose her. She is the biggest hen and very good natured.

Still, I always use a visit with the vet as a chance to tap into their expertise and ask a gazillion questions so its always worth while.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS