Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much is a lamb butchered and boxed worth  (Read 8471 times)

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
How much is a lamb butchered and boxed worth
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »
Dear all, can any one tell me what a fair value of my lambs will be, they will be butchered and boxed. I will collect them tomorrow morning. Thanks for you help.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
Re: How much is a lamb butchered and boxed worth
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:15:02 pm »
It's a bit of a how much is a piece of string question I.e. we would need to know what breed ,weight of meat ,how fat,what cuts etc to give you a realistic estimate

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:54:31 pm »
Hi, box is a whole lamb cut in joints and chops etc. they lambs were mule, a very good size so will have a little bit of fat I would say.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:29:43 pm »
It really depends on how much the lamb weighs and what breed it is. I sell my Lleyn yearlings at £60 per half lamb, that includes the kidneys, joints and chops. What sheep do you have in mind?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
I have just sold my Feb born zwartbles for £100 each plus butchers costs.  Done this way as some were more expensive than others due to boning and rolling, mincing ect.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:45:58 pm »
Like Buttermilk I charge £100 each plus kill and butcher, I also have zwartbles so they are big lambs.
Anne

freethyme

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Solihull
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:52:51 pm »
Thanks for your help

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »
Hi.  Same as Buttermilk and Daisy's mum - also Zwartbles and also got £100 per lamb after killing/butchering costs.  These were big lambs,  asked a little less for two smaller ones.  So customers paid £70 a half for the larger lambs and £60 a half for the smaller ones. 

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 10:22:14 pm »
I would be looking to set a price per kilo ( you can always drop this down if one is excessively fatty or alternatively not well covered)- fair on you and fair on the customer - have a look online  - prices from £7 a kilo upward with more niche meats like Hebridean at £13 -£14 per kilo. Obviously your price in the box  includes the top cuts (leg)and the poorer cuts ( flank) which even each other out. Good luck with your venture BL

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 01:04:19 pm »
I'm a bit surprised you are asking this as you collect them ... I assume they are going straight to customers? (Any storage by you requires more vigorous checks by Env Heath.)  We sell ours at about £8-9 /Kg which works out about £65/half .... so much the same as others have quoted.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS