Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help with my naughty wether!!  (Read 6263 times)

loulou2204

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: Help with my naughty wether!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:00 pm »
Hi all, just updating you on the visit from the vet.
She checked them both & BOTH were entire. Bands had snapped on both boys.
So after a needle to numb each little 'nut' they were cut open & removed right there in the garden on the lawn!!!
I am extremely squeamish & literally ran. OMG my legs were crossed & I'm definitely female. My partner nearly died!!
The vet then said my 3 dogs would love to eat the contents of the sacks!! With that all the males in my house nearly passed out!! Hilarious!!

But they are both fine, already calmer & less aggressive. They're still tussling between themselves but I know that's normal. So all in all things are good now.

Thanks for all the help, advice & suggestions. :)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 08:05:06 am »
that's great you managed to get that sorted out  :thumbsup:
I've had the vet do the same op on a tup lamb but not on a goat and as you say its a fairly straightforward procedure
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 08:21:14 am »
Some really good advice on this thread and a good outcome. So well done for seeing it through.  People who have done far more than me might comment on the chances of two bands snapping though. Either the breeder was using very old or sun damaged bands or their eye sight is poor or for some reason the banding never actually happened. My understanding is missing a each happens from time to time but is rare, and a band snapping is pretty unusual so two??

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:21 am »
I wouldn't touch the horns in an aggressive goat, its just asking for a reaction. I hope he settles for you. its a big shame they weren't castrated for you properly. id guess they weren't done at all as stretching the band during application would most likely be the moment it snapped, not later. a snapped band would surely lead to complications as cutting off the blood supply isn't a simple thing to rectify and poisons would be released after the band was removed.
if an animal hurts you or scares you, you should maybe consider replacing him. if my billies were aggressive towards me they would be in the freezer sharpish. there are plenty of lovely goats out there that are a delight to keep. part of being a smallholder is recognising when to cull and when to be soft. it takes time to recognise that but we are here to support to you.
most of us here breed and therefore have to sell, kill or cull. its part of the package. its not easy though.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS