Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting Our Slaughtered Sheep Skins Made into Rugs  (Read 9035 times)

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant
Re: Getting Our Slaughtered Sheep Skins Made into Rugs
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:26 pm »
The lady who runs www.organicsheepskins.com will given you all the info you need on how to prepare the skins to send to them for tanning and how yo get the licence to get the skins back from the abattoir

little brown sheep

• Joined Oct 2014
  • Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 10:07:03 pm »
The lady who runs www.organicsheepskins.com will given you all the info you need on how to prepare the skins to send to them for tanning and how yo get the licence to get the skins back from the abattoir

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:03 pm »
I've tanned a few of my own now and its fairly easy to get something functional although I tried some goat skin without much luck this year. Our abattoir will salt them for me and I pick them up with the lamb a few days after slaughter. I then deflesh them with a sharp knife and lay them out with more salt on for a few days. Then I use an oxalic acid solution for the tanning (easily available as crystal to dissolve in water from ebay) - paint the solution on to the skin a couple of times a day. Then wash them in washing soda, dry and stretch them and comb. It takes me ages to deflesh - I can manage one skin an evening but the rest of it is only a few minutes here and there which I fit in around all the other jobs. Its a very satisfying process and one I'm looking forward to improving with this year's lambs!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 04:26:39 am »
My skins were very clean when they came back from the abattoir. Only a tiny bit around the neck to trim off, but other than that there was no defleshing to be done. So, perhaps I was lucky
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 11:45:45 am »
I've only ever had to take off small bits where the skin hasn't come off so easily.  I feel a curved flint scraper would be ideal (don't have a clue how to knap one, and anyway there's no flint up here.)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS