Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: vaccine  (Read 2987 times)

Tamsjute

• Joined Jun 2015
vaccine
« on: August 26, 2015, 04:40:21 pm »
What is the smallest available pack of ovivac p
I'd like to vaccinate my new lambs as they haven't been done but 100 ml is all I can find so much of it would be going to waste as I only have 3 lambs.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
Re: vaccine
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:51:30 pm »
My vet is going to draw up the correct doses for me next year as we will only have a few too. Will your vet do that for you?
Is it time to retire yet?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 04:53:52 pm »
Those that have just a few lambs have the same problem with Heptavac P. Because of its short shelf life, once opened, 10 hours, the vet won't dispense small doses.

Its always worth getting to know other local breeders with a small flock and then you can share.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:48:33 pm »
I use lambivac in my sheep which comes in 25 dose bottles (50ml).
Don't forget you will need two doses at a gap of however many weeks listed on the datasheet (usually 4-6).
There may be waste, but better to be covered against the fatal clostridial diseases than have a dead lamb .

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 06:09:17 pm »
Bionic, will your vet not give you the required doses of Heptavac for your flock? Mine will. Im starting to think I have a really nice ovine vet

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:04 pm »
My vet won't draw off doses of vaccines (but will do wormers) but he's very good at putting small breeders in touch and helping us share a bottle. Obviously, the vet doesn't want left with 22 "spare" doses either  :)

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 08:56:42 am »
Our vets do this for a number of local small flocks so I expect they don't get left with a lot of wastage. They are very accommodating. He also told me how to use up the eye-wateringly expensive bottle of cattle Fasinex that I had to buy from the equine vet to fluke just 2 ponies....once  >:(  My equine vet said I couldn't use it on the sheep but the ovine vet 9 who keeps sheep himself) said it was no problem and has told me exactly what to do. We are obviously very lucky to have him.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS