Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 4494 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Would this work?
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:15:51 pm »
Been looking at the chicken feeders that clip in directly to the fence, which is all fine except there is no way to lift it at night without leaving a hole.

Do you think using an automatic pophole would work to have it drop down over the food at dusk and lift again at dawn (or whatever the house pophole is set to) or is that jsut making things too complicated?

Edit : this is the feeder http://www.ideas-4-pets.co.uk/wise-chicken-cage-feeder-no-silo?cPath=0_325&gclid=CMmnl4iGxccCFVG6GwodSeYCdg

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:21:21 pm »
don't do it unless its in a run that's roofed or a shed. awful things, let in rain, top blows off unless you bungee it down, feed gets mouldy or slugs get in, make it sticky and it clogs up and gets mouldy-and there's no easy way of cleaning them.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:00 pm »
What feeder do you recommend?

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:40 pm »
tbh none of them are perfect. Mine are currently fed via a pheasant spring feeder but in horizontal rain, the spring gets clogged although thats not too bad. My main problem is I live in a very windy place which means lots of driving rain and none of the plastic feeders cut it although I do use the odd one in pens in the summer. I am not convinced that the grandpa feeders are worth it either. So a pheasant feeder I can move around out of prevailing winds works best for me.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:55:19 am »
The simple answer is to hang the feeder inside the coop. Keeps it dry. Keeps it away from wild birds.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
Thats where mine are after many years of trial and error  :thumbsup:

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:28:57 am »
Just hanging from the center? does this keep mice and rats away?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 12:03:56 pm »
Luckily I don't suffer from rats or mice (touch wood) but yes if its hanging on a string then it makes it a lot harder for them though they can still manage with some acrobatics  :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 12:30:52 pm »
I bought a grandpas feeder a couple of months ago. It was a lot of money but it's very good. I'm not getting through anywhere near as much food.
Squirrels know how to use it though  :(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:46 pm »
The simple answer is to hang the feeder inside the coop. Keeps it dry. Keeps it away from wild birds.

funnily enough, not being completely stupid, I tried that. they wouldn't eat in there despite unblocking the window. Two weeks I tried and they were having none of it. As it was coming into winter I didn't want them without food. It's probably not light enough in there.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 07:43:24 pm »
i feed inside the coop, I also have a 6ftx4ft shed in the paddock and I feed in there too. they are much happier eating in the shed than the coop.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:15:33 pm »
I bought a grandpas feeder a couple of months ago. It was a lot of money but it's very good. I'm not getting through anywhere near as much food.
Squirrels know how to use it though  :(

My neighbour BBQ'd a squirrel the other day. Said it was delicious. Airgun + feeder = free food.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:26 pm »
I love squirrel :-)

This is very similar to one of my very complex chicken feeders. I put it under a board lean-to to keep the rain out.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
If mine hadn't tipped that upside down within 30 seconds i'd be very disappointed in them!  ;D

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 04:48:29 pm »
I use Mole Valley treadle feeders which are very good but do need shelter as they are not perfectly sealed around the edges. I put mine on paving slabs so that they don't slop up or are at least cleanable but I'm working on having them higher on a thick wire mesh so that any spilled food falls under so that the birds can get it. At the mo they spill feed under the mesh 'pressure plate' and then can't get at it so it still encourages vermin although they can't actually get at the food in the feeder.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS