Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: last year's hay as feed  (Read 3084 times)

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
last year's hay as feed
« on: September 06, 2015, 12:49:37 pm »
Dear all you experts,
 I won't have much grass for my 3 much loved pet sheep over winter and I plan to give them hay (supplemented mainly by turnips - the local fare that I can get free and all the farmers use). I have to use small bales for practical reasons and have been offered limitless small bales of last year's hay by a neighbour. Sourcing small bales can be difficult round here and this would be an easy option. Is it OK to feed them last years hay as their primary feed (assuming it is not mouldy etc..) I would really value your advice. Many thanks in advance.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: last year's hay as feed
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 01:08:11 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »
It really depends on the quality of the hay.  If it still smells sweet and is dust and mould-free it should be fine.  We feed our tups last years hay over the winter, if we have any, and the ewes which need the best nutrition get the new stuff.

With turnips, these can damage the teeth.  This doesn't matter in most flocks as the sheep don't live beyond 6 or 7, but your pets may well be living much longer than this and will need their teeth.  It can help to chop the neeps into smaller chunks so the sheep don't have to gnaw on big ones - not too much work for a few sheep.  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:10 pm »
We've got an ancient neep chopper. irs loads of fun.  Agree with Fleecewife about the hay.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 07:22:58 am »
I have a carry over of the year before lasts hay as it got stored away from home.  It is getting brought back in batches and is lovely.  My tups are very happy munching on it.  I just make sure they have a vit/min block to lick as the vitamins will have been lost with time.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 07:58:18 am »
You may find the sheep will decide whether it's edible or not! My lot have been very choosy in the past and I tried 4 or 5 sources before find some they would eat. Once found though, I've been able to use the same "brand" every year since.
While I was struggling to find a hay they would eat, The advice I got was 'if they're hungry enough, they will eat it". But I'm not sure that's true, and I wasn't  prepared to stand by and watch them get thinner and thinner!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:13:35 am »
I'm with slimjim .... my sheep tell me what they will eat ........... fortunately my cows aren't so fussy!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 03:19:56 pm »
Thank you so much all of you. You have no idea how reassuring it is for someone like me to be able to ask!

I will try them on the older hay and see what they think and ensure they get a lick with the right vits etc. Thank you also for the comments about feeding them neeps and their teeth. So massively important for them.
I am really grateful and much appreciate all your advice.

I will be doing a lot of chopping.......(unless anyone can tell me where to purchase a suitable small neep chopper, be it ancient or new - I am in the  (East Coast) Scottish Borders but could travel further afield if necessary.
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/thinking.gif

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 05:27:01 pm »
They are unlikely to touch any hay while the grass is still good, come December or so they will eat it.... I have never worried about hay for the sheep - if they need hay they will eat it - last year's is absoluely fine, I am not shopping around for them (of course not mouldy or too dusty)....

Now goats... completely different story...

If these sheep are pets they probably will only need hay unless we have an arctic winter....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS