Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daft Question time - Are some sheep mute?  (Read 3751 times)

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Daft Question time - Are some sheep mute?
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:55:52 pm »
We've just gotten some Herdwick sheep and haven't heard a sound from them, meanwhile our two Black Face lambs make some racket when they see us!  I'm wondering if the Herdys are naturally mute?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Daft Question time - Are some sheep mute?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:45 pm »
Over evolutionary time Herdwicks have learnt to hide their presence as discovery often leads to Rentokil being called :eyelashes:

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
I wish mine were mute! You must be able to hear them for miles if they think the pigs are being fed and they are being ignored! ::)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 08:47:26 pm »
I wish my sheep were mute too!!!  Blimey what a racket when they spot a human!!  human = food!!!

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:13:06 pm »
I have 2 Herdwick lambs and they are certainly quieter than the Blackies but they do bleat sometimes.
It sounds totally different to the Blackies as well.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »
I've had shy sheep before, but after a few weeks they all learn how to make a racket and allert the others than I want them in one place so all go somewhere else.

If their quiet it usually means they know I want them, or they've got into the field shelter again and eaten all the beet shreds.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:39:19 pm »
Mute if only. I've just speaned this year's lambs and they have been making a bit of noise especially if anyone is around.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:57 pm »
Thanks Guys, I'm hoping they'll gain confidence and start chirping away soon ;-)

SophieLeeds

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 03:23:01 pm »
I keep herdwicks and we never heard even the slightest peep from them - until we got a tup!

Our tup is much more vocal than the girls, but the girls come into their own when they have their lambs... take them away and you can expect the silent treatment again in my experience  ;D
"The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops or livestock, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings"

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS