Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help Needed with Chicken Breeds Genetic Study  (Read 2605 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Help Needed with Chicken Breeds Genetic Study
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:35:08 am »
If you're members of the RBST you may have seen this in the latest copy of The Ark.  Oxford & Leicester Unis are carrying out a study to investigate the how and why of chicken breed development and genetic diversity within traditional chicken breeds in Britain.  Basically need 3, or preferably 5, plucked breast feathers from each in a labelled plastic bag and if plucking the same breed then not very closely related birds.  Present breeds being studied are Marans, Sussex, Dorking, Welsummers and Wyandottes.  More info on http://scicultchickens.org or contact Alison Foster (af216@le.ac.uk) for details of how to submit feather samples.  I presently keep all these breeds so will be taking part and Alison's OK'd this posting.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Help Needed with Chicken Breeds Genetic Study
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »
Has it been extended?

A lot of the Scots Grey folks submitted ours a few months back and Alison said there was a deadline for DNA testing although she did mention that other breeds may be getting added into the study.

Looking forwards to the results, its quite exciting! :) 

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »
Are Marans not a French breed? Any preference over colour of any of them? I can tick three of the breed boxes but only with a bird or two in each (and probably much squawking if I start plucking them!).

H

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:33:48 am »
I think English Marans have been around long enough to be called a British breed
Is it time to retire yet?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:07:49 am »
Is English a variant of Marans? I have a cuckoo and a copper black which afaik were first imported into England in the 1930s. Therefore somewhat newer to the country than Orpingtons which I presume are not included because they were 'created' (but in the 19th century). Just questioning because the RBST normally focuses on the British breeds above others.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 08:44:52 am »
Its not an RBST research project, its a combined University one. Wyandottes aren't a native British breed either but they are very common here; same for Welsummers. I think the thrust of the research is to examine how various breeds have spread and influenced other breeds.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:48:25 am by Kimbo »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:02 pm »
Alison can give more details and told me Welsommers and Wyandottes had recently been added.  In the case of Marans I believe the original French breed had feathered legs but the ones I've seen more often than not have clean legs, so presumably this has been bred out ....?

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »
I think you can still find both breeds MF. The French do have feathered legs but not the English

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS