Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Licensing costs for small scale poultry production  (Read 5746 times)

WishfulThinker21

• Joined Jan 2020
Licensing costs for small scale poultry production
« on: July 05, 2021, 10:39:40 am »
Hello everyone,
As the title implies I am putting together a list of the regulations and licenses I will need for a planned poultry enterprise. I am planning to keep under 1000 birds for meat production and have plans for an on-farm slaughter facility.

Will you folk be kind enough to list all of the licenses I will need? I am trying to think ahead and be good about this.  :farmer:

WishfulThinker21

• Joined Jan 2020
Re: Licensing costs for small scale poultry production
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 12:05:08 pm »
Hi Scarlet,
I am hoping to hear from the people that manage poultry on this forum.
I've found it relatively difficult in the past when dealing with large organisations and have found that they often won't speak to you without taking all of your personal information which I am not willing to give at this conceptual stage.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:32:33 pm »
Hello everyone,
As the title implies I am putting together a list of the regulations and licenses I will need for a planned poultry enterprise. I am planning to keep under 1000 birds for meat production and have plans for an on-farm slaughter facility.

Will you folk be kind enough to list all of the licenses I will need? I am trying to think ahead and be good about this.  :farmer:
Yes, let's put a simple list for simple people (like me  :innocent:).
Its very difficult to actually find anything useful, black on white list of requirements.

I only keep and slaughter poultry for our home consumption, for which you don't need any regulations really.

I would be interested in more info for the small wcale producers.

Here's some useful info:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/slaughtering-poultry-rabbits-and-hares-on-farms-for-small-scale-suppliers

Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 01:27:01 pm »
I guess the first thing to do is register with environmental health as a food business- they will guide you in the right direction.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS