Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help and farmsitting  (Read 1571 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Help and farmsitting
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:15:23 pm »

Collective brain picking time,
We're having to accept that help is needed on the croft
What would be the best way to advertise for weekend help , and help at kidding time during the day  feeding etc  and what about farm sitting if and when we take a holiday ? ( I understand a holiday is a break from what you normally do ! ) We're in Aberdeenshire and really need some one trustworthy and reliable. Any suggestions  how to approach this and what happens about payment ?

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Help and farmsitting
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
No experience in this but Facebook seems to be a good starting point. There must be local groups you could post on :thinking:
________
Caroline

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:05:17 pm »
I'm sure I have seen someone advertising smallholding sitting in Aberdeenshire but can't remember where atm. If I find it I will let you know.

For kidding time how about getting a helper through the HelpX site where they help out in return for food and board. We had helpers when we were lambing and kidding and it was great.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 09:45:07 pm »
For holidaying we have found other local smallholders a great help. In fact we have one a couple of miles away and we look after their animals and they do the same for us.
Of course it needs careful planning but it does work.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 11:34:53 pm »
Word of mouth seems to be best. Ask a few local farmers or at mart, Most of the good freelance stockpersons don't need to advertise. You may find a good local farmers teenage son/daughter who'd relish the cash and the chance to get away from home for a bit, got the skills plus back up if they run into any problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS