Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen house  (Read 3390 times)

ThomasR

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Peebles
Hen house
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:07:23 pm »
Hi
 I have recently built proper pens that are 6ft high and the wire is dug under and overlaid on the ground by half a meter. The pens are 6m x 3m and I was wanting to build a proper hen house to go into one that would suit around 8 chickens maybe even 10 they are large fowl but not big, they are bred fowl. Would anybody be able to post pictures or plans of there hen huts as I was not to sure what to go with. I am not looking for something fancy just something where the hens can lay there eggs and where the cockerels and hens can sleep/roost at night.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: Hen house
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:49:48 am »
I found the attached file some time ago on the "Purina Mills" website (US based) while searching online but when I checked just now it's not there anymore. Luckily I had also downloaded it for reference!

In the end we decided to buy one and while it works fine the design is a little annoying in places when cleaning out. You live and learn I guess!

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:12:24 am »
I will see whether I can finally post a photo of one of our home-made hen houses.
Forgive me if it doesn't work or its upside down.
We have 3 of these in various sizes. This one is the smallest and houses 6 pretty big LFs but our hens do free range for most of the day.
Is it time to retire yet?

NigelsLiveoutLover

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 08:58:46 am »
We got exasperated after repairing our smart ' bought ' henhouse almost every week and bought a sturdy children's play house from BnQ , took out the window section and built on a nest box. It has loads of room and has weathered really well over 5 years with minimum attention . ( new roofing felt and a repaint )
We have it on rollers to move about but intend to put it on wheels.
Next time we think we will modify a small garden shed as most hen coops are way too small even for a trio.
This also gives hens more shelter in wet weather.
We also use an old kitchen carcass on its side as a store for their bits and pieces.
Hope this helps.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:35:36 am »
completely off topic I know but NigelsLiveOutLover, you MUST go to the thread to explain that forum name!! Im dying to hear that story  :innocent:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 11:59:27 am »
Back on topic ..... we bought a cheap flat pack shed one year and built it onto wooden skids with huge metal eyes for hooking it up to the farm 4x4 for moving.  Worked very well for five years until a red mite invasion led to a very large bonfire. 

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:31:35 pm »
I wouldn't advise more than 4 hens in that size pen ThomasR. I know people squeeze more than that in, but you may run into behavioural problems with less than 4m2 each. We allow ours 15m2 each.

Our 8 -10 coops are 6ft x 4ft and I would advise you buy a shed and modify it to suit because in small quantities timber and fixings can cost more than a bought coop. Vents should be 10% of the floor area and closable. Perches should go in hangars so they can be removed frequently to check for red mite and should not be higher than 18 inches off the floor. Nest boxes must be lower than the perches otherwise hens will roost in them. With a shed you get the ease of cleaning and inspection.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 04:40:20 pm »
We bought a cheap 12 x 8 shed for our mungrel flock and it's been a nightmare. Very poorly built and leaks like a sieve. Litter gets wet and stinks. While I agree a shed is perfect and easy to adapt, don't waste money on a very cheap one. Main thing is to keep the litter dry or you will get problems in the winter.

Kids playhouse is a fantastic idea. Might have a look at that for our little flocks.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 06:06:39 pm »
I have wondered about a 2nd hand plastic kids playhouse to avoid red mite ( what a shame I never kept the one my kids had all those years ago). Only trouble is the garish colours. I wonder if those things will take paint?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS