Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rare Breeds at Lanark sale  (Read 4917 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Rare Breeds at Lanark sale
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:35:48 pm »
Just in case anyone missed this various stock from Palacerigg RBST approved park is being dispersed at the Lanark sale - Borerays, North Ronaldsays and Bagot goats https://www.rbst.org.uk/News/RBST-News/Lanark-Rare-Breeds-Sale-to-include-rarest-sheep-and-goat-breeds
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

HappyHippy

Re: Rare Breeds at Lanark sale
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 10:22:17 pm »
So, so sad! That park could be doing fab things for rare breeds but sadly the council don't seem to see how important it is. It doesn't seem like that long ago we fought North Lanarkshire Council to save the livestock collection (and won!) I'm sure Fleecewife will remember.......

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:39 am »
And we've the same happening at our Community Farm Bill Quay in Gateshead too - also a RBST Approved Farm, with good collections of several rare breeds. :(

Fund-raising now, if you're moved to help. http://www.billquayfarm.org.uk/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:39:09 am »
Oh no - I didn't know Palacerigg was shutting down after all  :'(.  Are they putting up a fight this time, Happy Hippy? I don't have the oomph to join in if they are  :(   They seemed to be building up their stock and now this.  They did so well at last years Smallholders Festival.   :rant:
Ah now I've read the link and I see they are not closing completely but are cutting back on the sheep and goats, but it seems they will keep the White Parks and their beautiful Eriskay ponies. Poultry too?   But for how long?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 01:43:37 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:19 am »
The worst organisation in the world to run somewhere like Palacerigg is a local council. It's not a core service and with budgets being as tight as they are, it will always stumble from one crisis to another. best thing that could happen would be a community buy-out.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:53:37 am »
Any volunteers to run a campaign for that?  Local people love the place, but I wonder if there's enough of them to pay enough.

I agree the council is the wrong organisation, if only because they have such a cumbersome system.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:07 pm »
Schedule:

In Ring 1 at 9.30am- 314 Shetland Sheep, 43 Zwartble Sheep,

In Ring 2 at 10am -40 Jacob,37 Ryeland,22 Boreray,10 Icelandic,24 North Ronaldsay,121 Hebridean,35 Various Other Breeds (Manx Loaghtan, Gotland, Castlemilk Moorit, Badgerfaced, Soay, Black Welsh Mountain, Polled Dorset and Easycare) 51 Cross Bred Sheep

In General Hall at 10am- 196 Cages Poultry.

In Ring 3 after poultry sale -  75 Goats, 2 Highland cows, 2 Llamas

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 06:01:40 pm »
Bl&&dy hell - 75 (seventy five!) goats....  :( and  >:(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:54 am »
This is so sad but lets face facts, council are pretty bad when it come to making anything work well. this needs someone who knows how to make a park like this work. I am sure done right the public would support them and make it a good day out for all. I think our rare breeds are so worth saving. What's going to happen when there are more houses than good grazing land and I am sure that day will come. going to need the rare breeds then that can do well on poor ground. Just a thought.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 11:18:52 am »
So sorry to here this sad news. I hope these animals go to good homes who will carry on the breeding on these rare sheep and goats. Also my best wishes go out to the staff.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

namethatsheep

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 09:28:55 pm »
A wide range of prices at the sale:

Black Welsh mountain £40; Soay £3-£28; Ryelands £100-£300; Jacob to £150; Boreray £12 -£115; some good prices for Hebs - £320 & £440 Shearlings from Brinsop, £500 (multihorn Shearling) from Bramble Cott; Manx Loaghtan £40 (ewe lamb); Jacob to £150; Icelandic £80-£275 (but many unsold in not reaching beyond £40); Polled Dorset (tup'13) £65; Easycare £38; and N. Ronaldsay £50 - then had to leave!

£3 for Soay was not as low as a few years ago when I saw lambs selling at just £1.50!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:44:51 pm by namethatsheep »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS