Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best wood burner.  (Read 2865 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Best wood burner.
« on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:32 pm »
Looking to replace my stove with a new one.
Large farmhouse living room.

Suggestions please.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
Re: Best wood burner.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 07:37:59 am »
We've got Hunter Herald stoves in our two downstairs rooms and have been impressed over the last 2 winters so I'm ordering another for a barn conversion that's currently getting done.

Not as expensive as some I've seen but not the cheapest either

https://www.hunterstoves.co.uk/hunter

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 08:07:53 am »
Clear view get my vote, we used to have a Stratford arrow, but the clear view stays cleaner.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:08 am »
I have a double sided ruegg which has vents allowing warm air to be distributed  into two rooms upstairs. 1 fire heats 4 rooms
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:34 am »
I'm not goig to tell you what to get - you'll have too many opinions soon anyway.
the basic principles start with the heat output you need (of course) but that's ony a guide. I've got a 12KW with back burner in the living room but the supposed 7KW in my hobby shed actually can take larger logs!

Major things to look out for are flue accesses for cleaning and how much ventilation you have for air in. Despite HETAS fitting by a pratt who didn't know his own regs (for insurance purpses with the expensive stuff in my shed) If I fire up the shed burner full bore I have to have wndows cracked open or the monoxide alarms start screaming since the fitted vent was too small. So vent acess, flue shape and position and whether the firebricks are a bespoke fancy shape or simple blocks you can easily replace. then look at the pros and cons of steel v cast iron.

If the old one is cast iron and scrap rather than resale then have a word with your local model engineering soc... we're always after cast plate bits.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:08 pm »
We have a Jotul 3 -Norwegian I think. Very efficient like many modern wood burners but they are all efficient only if your logs are properly seasoned and dry. Damp wood makes the window tar up and blocks your chimney. First thing I'd consider Castle Farm is how and where you are going to store your wood.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »
 Villager flat top had it for 20 years now , takes 18" logs, replace door seals once a year and clean the glass once in a while. We have our own supply of wood mainly sitka that is best left to dry for a couple of years and mature willow , split it burns rally well, back boiler and loads of hot water.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:59:46 pm »
I love my Clearview!!! Pioneer oven - I have made all sorts, even baked bread and cake in it. Love it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS