Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best bought chicken houses?  (Read 6721 times)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Best bought chicken houses?
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:25:06 pm »
I love omlet houses, even though they are ££

Am I missing out on any other good houses I should consider?

Wanting low maintenance as poss and ideally with a run.  Is wood such a bad idea as I keep reading about for cleaning out and red mite?

Thinking up to 10 chickens.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Best bought chicken houses?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 09:00:35 pm »
We've always liked Smiths Sectional Buildings houses.  OK so long as you creosote regularly and very sturdy.  Watch out for the recycled plastic ones - so heavy and plastic is compressed so has a honeycomb texture which is great for red mite. 

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »
Not come across Smiths. Off to google

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:23 pm »
I like the green frog ones.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 09:28:21 pm »

Are they as honeycomb textured as they look?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:27 pm »
I had a plain garden shed, never had any problems
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
We bought an Eglu cube last week on Ebay, got a really good deal on it, it's in great condition, just the colour is really faded and some of the screws and clips needed replacing.
We have seven new chickens just moved in. I did look at all sorts of options and was loathe to pay too much but Eglus last for such a long time, and are so good in hot weather, and cold weather, and no red mite problems, so in the long run I'm sure it's the right choice!
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 09:41:16 pm »
We bought an Eglu cube last week on Ebay, got a really good deal on it, it's in great condition, just the colour is really faded and some of the screws and clips needed replacing.
We have seven new chickens just moved in. I did look at all sorts of options and was loathe to pay too much but Eglus last for such a long time, and are so good in hot weather, and cold weather, and no red mite problems, so in the long run I'm sure it's the right choice!

Thats pretty much why I love them, just don't want to shell out (haha) that money if there are cheaper options that are just as good..

I have to say my current (loaned out) eglu is amazing. Clean out in 5mins max!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:32 pm »
Solway for me , the old shape clips together quickly and comes apart for pressure washing and disinfecting and straight back to use

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:36:24 am »
We have a Solway. Looks a bit crude but does the job -it's a spare to use when the wooden houses are stripped down and treated. Green Frog get good reports. Down here we daren't use the plastic house in Summer for fear of it softening.

Omlet coops have some fundamental flaws built in. Ventilation is poor and the nest box built at the same height as the perch area causes some problems. There are also reports of vermin getting in through drain holes and also foxes breaking into the runs. But they do look nice.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:26:55 am »
Mark Francis ones are great - really easy to take apart for cleaning and very very sturdy as they are on a metal chassis.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:14:38 am »

Are they as honeycomb textured as they look?

They are not completely textured, mainly the roof and the nest box lids. I do not think it looks that bad once assembled.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 02:17:11 pm »
We have 4 Eglu Cubes and 6 Classics - never a problem with ventilation or anything and definitely never any predators getting inside. Bought them all secondhand, mostly off Ebay. They need to be on level ground and properly fitted together as otherwise some rainwater may come in, but that's with everything really.

Good excuse to treat myself to a pressure washer once I had the first few  ;)

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 03:35:02 pm »
There are also reports of vermin getting in through drain holes and also foxes breaking into the runs. But they do look nice.

I thought Omlet only guarenteed the HOUSE was fox proof, not the actual runs?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:35:53 pm »
If foxes could get into Eglu coops or runs in any way we wouldn't have any chickens left. We caught 7 fox visits on camera in one night once, never did a fox get in. Nor did the weasel, for that matter.

The base of the original Eglu Classic, the Mark I, was different, though, and mesh was added for safety. But these Mark I coops are easy to recognise as the door is much smaller. Occasionally one turns up on Ebay and other websites but they're easily 10 years old now I think. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:21:06 pm by Eve »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS