Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cat fleas HELP PLEASE!  (Read 10738 times)

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
Cat fleas HELP PLEASE!
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:19 pm »
Hi

We regularly treat our cat with either bob martin spot on or the front line spot on, but this evening we have noticed concentrated around his ears what we believe to be fleas, these where NOT there yesterday.

He was only treated 2 weeks ago with bob martin.

Is bob martin no good?

I am planning to go to the pet shop tomorrow and ask their advice, my thought was a spray to spray the cat for the visible ones and then either bob martin again or front line.

Also something to treat the whole house, (spray of fogger)

Thanks

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Cat fleas HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:43:51 pm »
It's most likely he has caught something that has fleas (mouse, rabbit) and when he has killed it they have jumped onto him. It doesn't mean Bob Martin is no good, but rabbit fleas especially do seem to like cats ears, and if it's since yesterday the Bod Martin hasn't had any time to take effect. You can get a front line spray, which would be good to spray directly onto his ears.

Our old ginger tom used to get it quite often, and to be honest you can pick the fleas off their ears, if he will let you. Best way to dispose of the fleas is to put them into a wee plastic tub which has water in it, with a little bit of some spray cleaner- flash anything like that will kill them. I once picked over 60 fleas off our old tom's ears in one go.

Hope that helps!

Beth

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Thaks for the reply.

I have been search the net all evening, and the general opnion is, despite being treated if the cat like you say sticks his head down a rabbit hole, the flees jump on, and they can come in the hosue with his..hence why they where not on yesterday.

I am off to the pet shop tommorow to get a instant zapping type spray (bob martin) and then spen a bit of time with some thick gloves pinning him down whilst picking /squashing the fleas off him.

His does like his rabbits, you should see him trying to drag them through the cat flap! :yum:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:51:22 pm »
I use much the same principle but instead of pickimg them off I bought a fine toothed flea comb - a lot quicker than picking them off and combs the hair at the same time.  Gawd what patience you have Beth ;) ;D ;D ;D

They are a nightmare when you have dogs too.  I've hardly been rid if the beggars since last summer! You've got me scratching my head in sympathy now! ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:14:48 am »
Speaking as a qualified vet - Bob Martin is no good!! The fleas develop resistance to products that then become available for public sale!!

YOu need a decent spot on like frontline AND the most important part of a flea treatment regime is to treat the living environment as about 90% of fleas live in the animal's bedding, carpets, sofas etc as juvenile stages!!

Wasd the cat's bedding on a hot wash, treat carpets etc and hoover!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

enzyme

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 10:49:39 am »
Thanks for the replies

I phone bob martin today, and they clarified to me that it is just a replant! So wont be using that agin.

We have used in the past the frontline from pets at home, which you have to sign for, but I am since told that even this is a lower version of what you get from the vet.

I am going to the vet to get the frontline combi.

I am 99% sure they are fleas, but the lady on the phone at the vets (not a vet) questioned are they fleas if I could pick them off with tweezers (which I have now done)

They "ran" more than jumped, but they did jump if the fell of or I missed squashing them first time!!!!

Also will get some general spray for the carpets etc.

Argh Annoying, especially when you think you have been "treating" him with a product!

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:02:45 pm »
My cats all had a bad reaction to bob martin - made their necks sore and itchy and red. I hear that is not unusual. It is crap stuff! I think Frontline is best - expensive though you can get it cheaper on the net than at a vets.
When my son was a baby we rather neglected treating the cats and one of them got flea allergy dermatitis! It was all scabby round his tail - felt terrible! Don't let it get to that stage!
I agree they can be clear one day and have fleas the next - if they are after rabbits etc... I just treat regularly with Frontline and it keeps it under control (although I am now considering dousing them with the chicken louse powder instead! Doubt it would be a good plan though - can foresee much scratching, panicking and inhalation of noxious substances ) ::) ::)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 07:43:56 am »
A tip - put a flea collar in your hoover bag / cylinder. Then if you hoover any of the critters up, or any eggs, then they won't survive and crawl out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS