Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Suffolk X Mules. Ram for producing replacements? any thoughts?  (Read 11590 times)

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
So I have taken the plunge and have purchased 42 Suffolk x Mule hoggets  ;D  :fc: to suit my upland/hill farm . they still have a bit of growing to do and will run with my 28 other Suffolk x texel ewes. I used a texel tup last year with the Suffolk x texel ewes and this resulted in some pretty good lambs for market. However i am interested in the idea of a closed flock and I am hoping to start breeding my own replacements. I am pondering the use of a Suffolk Ram to put with a small number the flock to try and produce some Suffolk ewes for replacements or possibly a blue Leicester Ram to produce big long ewe lambs. Has any one any other suggestions for crossing these ewes with to produce quality replacements? Charolais? Just putting it out there, I will not be tupping for another 7 weeks but would appreciate any opinions from TAS members.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:45:15 pm by m3joeEm »

Keepers

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: New Suffolk X Mules. Ram for producing replacements? any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »
Congrats on your lovely new ewes  :wave:

For maternal replacements I would most definitely not use a charollais, speak to some of the top charollais breeders in the UK and they would advise you against it, they are a terminal sire
I would not use a BFL or suffolk either, suffolk is going too much of a pure terminal breed, will leave dopey(er) ewes and dopey(er) lambs

If looking for purely maternal replacements then I would use a lleyn or a romney or even a composite breed such as the highlander or an aberdale or one of the maternal bred rams from logie durno

http://www.logiedurnosheep.co.uk/

As your ewes have suffolk in them the maternal bred lambs should finish well enough and any ewe lambs you do not want should be able to fetch a premium in the market

Choose a lleyn with good EBV figures and good length to him, some of them even carry the MYOmax muscleing gene, I reckon you couldn't go far wrong with one of those, should produce a good size and highly maternal ewe lamb out of your ewes

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:16:20 pm »
Since these sheep are already 25% BFL then increasing this would be a mistake IMO  ,  same for Suffolk as already 50% .  Charollais can produce good females on the right land . Since you are in Ireland then Belclare needs a look ..     

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:48:30 pm »
Wouldn't touch a charley with a barge pole if I wanted to keep back ewes.

Same with the BFL. . . . . the breed has VERY few upsides, and those that it does can be found else where!

Keepers isn't far off the mark.

Too much terminal in the mix for me, but if I was going to try to create a 'terminal type' maternal ewe, starting with a suffolk x mule ewe, i'd be having a serious look at a NZ Texel, with good maternal figures. Or as said, a LLeyn.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:46 pm »
Personally, I would avoid the Charlie, poor maternal cross ewe IME - but others have had better results apparently, Suffolk are bloody awful IMO, big heads, big legs and not a lot else. A friend of mine however swears by the Suffolk/mule/more Suffolk combo - but his stocking rate is uneconomically low and concentrate bill very high.
Lleyn are a good ewe if you can find a type that suits you and your ground, but I am biased ;) 

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:51:48 pm »
thanks for the replies. I have a lot to think about. Definitely not going for the Suffolk idea any more thanks for the advice. the lleyn sounds good if i got one with the right ebvs. can picture nice speckle face lambs from them

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:52:20 pm »
Now come on ME. . . . tell us what you really think.  :P

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 09:53:28 pm »
or maybe I will have to just keep buying in replacements   :-\

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:36 pm »
Now come on ME. . . . tell us what you really think.  :P

Put it this way, I spent money (yes real actual money) on a Lleyn ram yesterday... thats all I'm saying

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 10:01:05 pm »
What. . . . . 'money' money?

Bloody hell mate, I've got to stop buying sheep from you, all that cash is going to your head.

To the op - A closed flock is the ultimate dream (or should be) of every sensible sheep farmer. But the ETERNAL issue is how to keep a closed flock, where the lambs can both be kept back as great replacements and also be fattened and reach a good price.

I plan to close my flock in a few years in terms of replacements, but I think I will always have to buy in terminal rams to produce fat lambs, as I intend to run a three way split flock system.

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 10:02:43 pm »
Following this with not a lot to say :) Friend in NI is hoping to move into sheep so may end up PM'ing you next year for a couple of sheep to start off with :)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 10:05:22 pm »
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo not money money! GOD! Just "money" and my version of "money" at that.. steady on! Phew I need a sit down and a strong cup of tea at the thought of it.. 

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:46 pm »
Thank gawd for that matey, I was starting to think you were getting carried away with the price of lamb being what it is. I know we're all raking it in, but if you start buying tups for 'money money' folk will rumble us. . .

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:38 pm »
What about cheviot? I know cheviot x suffolk can produce smashing ewe lambs because the farmer i bought mine off had some and they were great (but too expensive) but i wonder what about cheviot x suffolk mules.

m3joeEm

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Northern Ireland
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 10:16:24 pm »
all this money talk is making me jealous  :huff:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS