Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: some better at breeding  (Read 2137 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
some better at breeding
« on: March 18, 2010, 08:35:57 pm »
my freind said today some chucks are better at breeding than others,
e.g. those that are for laying espically might have less chance of those that are good for breeding.
hope that makes sense.
our are lohman brown and these chucks are layer birds, we are trying to hatch eggs from this breed at mo,
has anyone ever had any luck in hatching eggs from this breed?
thanks for reading langdon ;) :chook:
Langdon ;)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
Re: some better at breeding
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:34:45 am »
I think your friend was referring to how often they go broody and not the viability of their eggs. I keep Marans and Warrens (ex-battery type). Marans are prized for their looks where Warrens will lay upwards of 300 eggs per year. I would expect each type to have an equal chance in an incubator but if left to their own devices I would put my money on the Maran to go broody more often and for longer. I would be suprised if one of my Warrens went broody at all.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:51 am »
i agree with witby sam. the eggs will be as fertile as any other chuck. its just that most won't go broody. saying that we had a hyline and a pekin share a nest last year. they hatched but the hyline lost intrest a week or so latter.

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:57:20 am »
hatch some copper tops silki cross sussex will onley lay 20 to 30 then broodey leave her 2 weeks then put the chicks under at night no light fuss just leave her to it .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 11:33:38 am »
I've moved Lucky(not sure if she is an ex-batt or Lohman - Jock, can you help here?) to the duck shed as she was being hassled by Jamie, so she wouldn't come out of the coop.  Now she's staying inside the duck shed too and sitting on what seems to be a nest - no eggs in it though at the moment. (the ducks don't use, so I haven't given them, a nesting box) I wonder if it would be worthwhile putting a couple of eggs under her?  The ducks are fairly gentle souls especially Jack, so I don't think they'd harm chicks if they hatched.  Funnily enough since she went in tehre only one of the ducks is laying and it's always outside in their little run when I go to let them out into their wee paddock.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS