Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ryelands  (Read 6399 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
ryelands
« on: June 02, 2008, 07:40:30 pm »
Well I got my five girls yesterday from Bewdley - quite a trek but worth it. They have settled in well. I think that they will need shearing soon. Anyway now I am looking for a male to breed with them. Anyone any suggestions where to go - something not too expensive.  ;D :sheep:
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: ryelands
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:06 pm »
Why don't you try the Flock Book Society and see if you can borrow a ram locally. That's what I'm going to do.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I contacted the society and they have put me in touch with someone who wants to rehome an older ram which would be suitable for afew sheep. This will give me some time to souch and afford something younger and then the older one could be his companion.
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »
Excellent. Don't know how two rams will live together though - those with more sheep knowledge than me might have more information...

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:05 pm »
I thought you could keep males together. When I pass farms around us they always seem to have two or three males together but apart from the females. Maybe I need advice on this as well  :(
Karen

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:47 am »
keeping males together is ok... introducing new males to your existing boys is the difficult part!! most tups will try to assert dominance with any newbie in the flock and it can be dangerous -even fatal- (and its always the biggest and best that dies) We try to cut down the damage by putting all the tups into a small shed/loosebox for two-three days to let them settle down somewhat. That way they can't take ten paces and charge at each other
Ian

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:25:25 am »
Thanks for the advice Rosemary. I have the ram that the society let me know about. His name is Archie and he is beautiful. He is so friendly especially if food is involved. Excellent for a novice like me  ::) I will let you know how he performs  :-[ later  :o
Karen

sallyw

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Buckinghamshire
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 11:05:15 am »
I would love to hear how you get on with your Ryelands. They have been recommended to us (absolute beginners). We are fencing the field over the winter and hope to have lambs in the spring - The field is about 3 1/2 acres, how many do you think it would take to keep the grass down?

Many thanks

Sal

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:54:40 pm »
We have three on about 3/4 acre and we had to cut it, so we could check the sheep were still there! I think the problem is balancing winter needs with the summer abundance of grass. If you stock tightly enough to keep the grass bowling green length in summer (or at least not needing mown), you'll have to feed a of of hay in the winter.

I know thsi isn't realy an answer to your question but we have the same issues.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:13 pm »
Hi
I have a few ryelands and would say that the normal stocking rate is 3 per acre being a downs breed, but ensure that you have some clean pasture to move them on to to ensure that the parasite burden is kept to a minimum.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS