Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken my MF20 baler- advice needed  (Read 2596 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Broken my MF20 baler- advice needed
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:59:32 pm »
Due to my inexperience I went too fast through some very dense rowed up hay/thistle stalks- causing it to severely clog and I have managed to break one of the bars that holds the pick-up tines of my MF20 baler (knackering also the thin round metal plate that houses the ends of all four bars). Does anyone think this is fixable? :fc:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Broken my MF20 baler- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 06:23:26 pm »
It will be fixable, hard to know best route without seeing damage. A few thoughts to get you going:

ask your local friendly farmer for details of local agricultural engineer man in van and seek his advice.

Might bend and weld ?

Difficulty on old balers is parts....plenty of mf20 still around not sure what parts are still available, or it might pay to buy another scrap one to use for parts....or buy A better one and use yours for parts.

Google baler parts.....there is a bloke down your way that breaks and sells parts.

Did you get most of it baled before you broke it ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:00:38 pm »
Fixable , if the local engineer is good he should have the tube and sheet , probably spend as much time swapping over the tines  as drilling and fitting the replacement bar , bet the end plate will get the hammer and a couple of stiffeners welded on .

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 10:04:51 pm »
Hi Stu- Thanks for the advice. Yes got one field baled- about 60 bales (a little loose/lightish in weight but really nice green, dry hay- all stacked inside- smells delicious!). I then went into the other field which had tons of grass/thistles. Too fast. Bang. Won't do that again! I'll put that down to experience. The good thing is that I felt totally safe and confident (I probably owe you a couple of these bales!).

I finally got the rest baled tonight by a local man who I didn't previously know who was working with a round baler contractor. Hay not as good as yesterday but he will wrap it tomorrow.He also owns an old baler and offered to fix it for me in exchange for the hay (too generous from his perspective- I have given him the hay- but hopefully I can pay him). I also contacted the guy who sold it to me- who also might be able to help. So I have a few options.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 10:07:59 pm »
Fixable , if the local engineer is good he should have the tube and sheet , probably spend as much time swapping over the tines  as drilling and fitting the replacement bar , bet the end plate will get the hammer and a couple of stiffeners welded on .

OK- that sounds promising. I'll see what he says when he has s proper look. cheers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS