Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poor smartie  (Read 2228 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Poor smartie
« on: August 12, 2015, 05:27:57 pm »
The old collie is 16, near blind and almost totally deaf and a bit weak on his pins now. he's still game and wanted to come to give the sheep their evening treats. He usually ambles along slowly well behind and catches up at the sheep gate while I'm petting them.
Today they were rowing up the hay and when i turned round to check on the old dog he was stuck in an endess maze following the wall of rowed up hay. I had to cross most of the field to intercept him and help him to clamber over each wall.....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Poor smartie
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:35:51 pm »
Aw bless him  :hug:

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:20:23 pm »
poor old boy
Is it time to retire yet?

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:11:58 pm »
Good on him for plodding on - what a star  :thumbsup:

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:56:36 pm »
 Thats the devotion only a dog can give, give him an extra hug tonight

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 11:38:04 pm »
Aw ..... at least he keeps going.  My old sheepdog seemed to lose her mind a bit, and would stand in corners, and would set off up the hay field, and get confused where she was going, and I would have to go and steer her in the right direction.  I am down to one farm dog now, after having 8, all related.  I don't think I will have another once this old dog goes -

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:25 am »
Reading this made me think of my old dog, which sadly died three years ago. He lost the plot in the end, but even when he had lost the plot he still knew how to round up sheep, the best dog I have ever had. The problem is i can't replace him, i bought a beardie but she's just a looney. However i have the breeding bitch which had two litters to my old dog, she is 8 and is excellent at rounding up sheep. I think i can train my beardie though, as she is eager, but as for breeding her no way i dont want any more looneys thanks, too many for 1 lifetime. :relief:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS