Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I don't post much now......  (Read 6425 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
I don't post much now......
« on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:57 pm »
..... as my life has changed and I seem to get further and further removed from my previous existence.  But I do drop by from time to time to see if I can contribute in any way.  Though generally by the time I see a thread it has already been answered with some good advice

Tomorrow is a momentous day for me.  Those who have met me over the years might remember my wonderful Great Dane Phoebe, and I know all those who have owned a good dog will say there dog was one in a million, and Phoebe (in my eyes) certainly was one in a million

Despite being old and always adverse to travel, or even leaving the grounds much, came with me on my travel and adjusted to a strange new life with no complaints.  Just being happy to be with me.  Sadly old age got the better of her as she approached eleven and I lost her just eight weeks ago this last weekend.

The night she left me a new puppy was born to one of her relations at her breeders in Cheshire, and against all sense and reason I go to collect Little Miss Phoebe tomorrow afternoon.

I found this on the internet and it struck a chord

It came to me that every time I lose a dog[/size]They take a piece of my heart with them, And every new dog who comes into my lifeGifts me a piece of their heart. And should I live long enoughAll the components of my heart will be dog,And I will become as generous and loving as they are.

.[/size][/size]
[/color]
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: I don't post much now......
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
I've never "met" you but I do follow your blog from time to time.

11 for a dane is an amazing age and your blog shows how much you and Phoebe shared a special bond.

Wishing you all the luck with the new baby.. Pics please  :love:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »
Wow, 11 is fantastic for a Dane!  We were in our first adventure of caravan tourer holiday this weekend  in the Yorkshire dales when a very large camper van parked up. I was watching for phoebe as that is what I take as your partner. Alas we couldn't see one so decided it mustn't be you.

So sorry for your loss. she will be a great miss. Never replaceable or forgotten but the missing hole in your heart can be filled with the same love and fantastic life of another Dane.

Cannot wait to see some piccies of the new family member.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 12:20:03 am »
Nice to have an update from you.  Sorry about your loss of Phoebe, but for a big dog, that was a good age.  And now you will have the puppy to keep you busy!! 

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:44:53 am »
My last Dane made 11 1/2 and the one before 12 1/2  but Phoebe had a real bad illness in the year before we started out, and I think that weakened her.  I am really looking forward to the puppy, but with trepidation as its been a long time since i have had one round me, plus I am that much older myself

Here as some snaps I took when Little Miss Phoebe was about five weeks old

[size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKnXckLKkms[/size]

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:56 am »
Hi Sue, nice to have you back again  :wave:  So sorry to hear about Phoebe but that is very good age for a Dane, and she had a lovely adventurous life with you.  Looking forward to seeing pictures of the  new young lady in your life so please don't go away again till you post some
Stay well  :bouquet:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:52 pm »
Sue I was so sorry to hear of your loss. I bought some English Cuckoo Marans eggs from you on the poultry forum (pp) years ago, I still have the offspring in my flock, they are gorgeous birds. I agree with all the previous comments about what a long life your Gt Dane had but it must be especially hard for you when you were both so bonded.
I have a little dog like that at the moment - 14, blind and diabetic but utterly devoted to me. Glad you have the puppy to ease the pain a little.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:26:02 pm »
That made me quite tearful.

So sorry for the loss of Phoebe, it must have been a very long 8 weeks. 

Wonderful to see you back on the board.

:bouquet:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 03:37:59 pm »
Good to hear from you and to read your happy / sad news.

I know how you feel about the new puppy. We've just got a Corgi pup - our BC will be 15 in September and our other BC died just before Christmas at 14 1/2. But he's fab - I'm saying that because he's asleep in his crate. I wasn't saying it yesterday when he ate my best bra  ::)

I'm sure Little Miss Phoebe will do just dandy  :thumbsup:

nonnatus

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »
Hello,

What a lovely post and your Blog is amazing!  What an adventurous and brave pair you were!

It struck a particular chord because we get our first ever Dane (a harlequin puppy) later this year and we are tremendously excited about the whole thing.

Can't wait to see your updates and the tales of life with your new puppy partner  :excited:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 04:36:40 pm »
Its nice to hear from you but sorry to hear about Phoebe. Little Miss Phoebe looks lovely though and I am sure you will be happy together.. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »
Very good to hear of you DBE. I knew nothing of your travels until I re-joined the forum a year ago. What a lovely thing for you and Phoebe to do and I'm sure she enjoyed it as much as you did. I'm sorry for your loss but she was a lucky dog to have lived so long and to have been so loved.
I hope your new pup brings you comfort,
                                                        Sylvia.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 04:46:47 pm »
Little Miss Phoebe is beginning to feel her feet a bit now, and Thebus' floor is awash with toys and detritus brought back in from outside, where everything must be tasted.  She is asleep on the settee next to me at present.  I think we will make a good team :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfwbdSasM6c

Thyme

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Machynlleth, Powys
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 04:51:29 pm »
She is lovely  :love:  Such wonderful adventures she is going to have with you!
Shetland sheep, Copper Marans chickens, Miniature Silver Appleyard ducks, and ginger cats.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 04:55:56 pm »
awww, lovely video. Look at her long gangly legs  ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS