Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wording  (Read 3096 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Wording
« on: August 09, 2015, 09:37:36 pm »
Thoughts on wording planning permission wording.... We have planning permission to build a new hay barn. It will be same size and form as the other small barn only difference is the planners insist it has a metal roof all the other barns have nice looking slate. They are only 5 years old.
This is the extract from the permission " The roof of the hereby approved agricultural building shall be of metal construction only."
Now my question is what if at a later date you want to change to slate ? I was browsing one of my neighbours  planning applications and it is very clear "Samples of the proposed external finishes shall be agreed with the Local Planning Authority in writing before works commence and the development shall be carried out in accordance with those agreed finishes which shall remain in situ in perpetuity unless otherwise approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority. The samples shall be presented on site for the agreement of the Local Planning Authority and those approved shall be retained on site for the duration of the construction works. "

So would I be able to argue that the wording is vague in relation to my project as the other application is clear you can never change with out asking ? As I don't really want a metal  roof.

Hope that makes sense

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Wording
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:32:34 am »
Have you asked them why it can only be metal SWB? I'm thinking of the practicalities like noisy in the rain and condensation issues, rather than appearance.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 08:55:08 am »
Planning departments are clamping down, its to make it harder for later change of use to residential use imo.
As even new build agricultral buildings that meet criteria can be converted to residential use

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:29:41 pm »
As Mart6 said to make changes harder. However if you wanted to convert something a metal roof is not going to stop you.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:52:02 pm »
Just to add t confusion .. my hobby shed and also the sunroom extension were roofed with faux tiles that are alloy shaped plates with coloured stone-like granules bonded to them ..they look just like roof tiles but weight much less to reduce truss sizes. With membrane and insulation underneath there's no sound whatsoever
Not this brand but this sort of thing: https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/browse/roof-sheets/eco-planet-tiles-2.html

So you can have slate look and still be metal.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 02:18:01 pm »
A requirement that just proves the planners are nuts. They have spent the last 40 years forcing as many as possible to use slate.  Since when has metal been the material of choice in the corridors of exquisite planning taste?

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:55 pm »
Just an update. I made an amended planning application to raise the hight of the building by 2m thus at some point it could be two floors and I also managed to get the metal roof clause lifted so I can use slate.
They then put in two clauses
1. Notwithstanding the hereby approved plans there shall not be any red clay ridge clay tiles on the agricultural building.!!!
2. No lighting or lighting fixtures shall be installed on the agricultural building or to illuminate any elevations of the hereby approved building.
The light one is annoying I wonder if I can use light in side ? Views ??

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 07:15:14 am »
You should be fine having an internal light.  They do not want any outside lights either on the building itself or on the ground shining onto the building.  At least that is my interpretation.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 09:31:40 am »
You should be fine having an internal light.  They do not want any outside lights either on the building itself or on the ground shining onto the building.  At least that is my interpretation.

yes mine too

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS