Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calling animals  (Read 9502 times)

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
Calling animals
« on: March 17, 2010, 09:36:35 am »
Traditionally people call dogs with a double-clicking sound from the side of their mouths and cats are called by a hissing 'pish-wish-wish'. But is there a traditional calling sound for hens, pigs, sheep and cattle in your neck of the woods?

I suppose this would be different from region to region and country to country, though I suspect the dog and cat sounds are international.

I've heard 'suck suck suck' for calves and 'here chuck chuck chuck' for hens. I use 'here henny hen hens' and 'muckley muck muck' for the pigs. I haven't spoken to any cattle or sheep yet.

I might write a thesis on this - I'm sure the Open University would give me a doctorate.

'Happy Saint Paddy's Day!'

sandy

Re: Calling animals
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:11 am »
Don't start me on talking to chickens ;)My Ex Father in law, a farmer used to call his cattle with a sound a bit like a low moo then a yoy yoy yoy type sound, he was saying something and sure enough, the cattle ran to him!!! I call my dogs will a silly excited voice!!!( I call my partner the same way)mind you, he dose not always come when I call him!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 11:09:19 am »
I click to the sheep if I am just going into the shed to do water and have a gander around and if I am calling them for food its just a loud 'come on, come on'

Ta

Baz

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »
My wife normally calls "here chick chicks" - they usually completely ignore her!!

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:25:43 pm »
My partner grunts to the pigs, the love it an come running!
I shout at the horses as loud as i can, "come onnnnnnn" if they arnt out of hearing they always come, its the catching they dont co-operate with!  ;D I do the click click thing to them to get them going forward
I just whistle to the dogs

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »
I say 'bock-bock, bock-bock' to the hens. It's the sound they make when they're reasonably content. I think it means 'we're cool' in hen.

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »
My grandfather used to call his cows with "coo-up, coo-up, coo-up" thats the nearest phoenetic spelling I can get.

Grandmother used to call chickens with "chick, chick, chick." and pigs with "piggys, piggys." or just rattled the bucket, as you would expect.

They both used to click at the side of their mouths for the horses as you do when you want them to trot on.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:55:04 pm by Jackie »

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 01:12:25 pm »
Yes I think they're North Nottinghamshire and North and Mid Lincs calls Jackie
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »
We call our cows with a "cimon", sheep and goats with a "sug", pigs with a "cimon big pig" and chickens are usually a "here mamma chicken"!!
I sound like a right weirdo now!

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 04:31:53 pm »
I just have to shout the word 'biscuit' and no matter where the dog is he comes running, far more effective than calling him by name ;)
The pigs get 'hey piggy pigs', but I suspect it's the rattling bucket that really gets their attention, rather than me  ;D
Still not got my hens (but there's a poultry sale at Lanark tomorrow I believe - no, I'm just going for a look, HONEST ;)) but it'll be a 'here chook chook chook' when I do - worked a treat for my granny  ;D ;D ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 05:38:45 pm »

This is where I get reported to the SSPCA, when I call my jack Russell I just have to say stick and she comes running, it used to be wheres my stick. Being a typical Russell she used to ignore me until one day I crept up behind her and tapped her on the bum with a riding crop (it was just a tap but it was me creeping up on her that gave her the fright ). Now if she does not answer to Daisy I just call stick. The chickens it's chick chick and the pigs came running to piggy piggy piggy, The sheep some running to the sight of a blue bucket.
Anne

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:45:27 pm »
Piggly, piggly, piggly (Pigs)...........C'moooon, C'moooon, C'moooon (Dexters).....C'mon Chuks (Chickens).....C'mon Littlies (Balwen Sheep).....C'mon My Beauties (Shropshire & Southdown Sheep) and the two Goats by name Jake & Kenco. Well it works for me!

Farmer,  :farmer:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:54:07 pm »
Horses it's c'monnnn and maybe their names. Pigs it's pig pig and hens it duk duk ( why duk not chuk god only knows) dogs always by name or names like dick head for the boxer, they all respond nicely tho. :pig: :horse: :chook: :dog: ;D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »
I always call the sheep "Girlies" even tho some of them are boys.  They dont seem to mind, they always come running...... or could that be something to do with the tub of food that I'm carrying???

cameldairy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Cairo, GA U.S.A.
  • South Georgia, U.S.A.
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:12 pm »
I call my camels up when they are real far away and all together, by calling out... CAMEL UP! They all come running. But if I want just one particular one, I just call it by name, if they are within hearing distance they come. I call the zebra by simply calling....here zebra! Zulu is the only one that will come if I call her individually. The horses will come when I call out... COME UP! The dogs all come with a whistle, I even have a special whistle sound for my favorite little dog, and she ALWAYS gets so excited and runs extra fast to me. (she knows she is special) My chickens get called..here chickie chick chick. They are real easy to train. My pigs come to anyone saying or NOT saying ANYTHING, (whether you want them or not ;)) And my goats come to ....here goatie goat goats! 
1 wonderful husband, his 200 beehives,13 chickens, 8 camels, 4 zebra, 21goats,  2 pigs, 4 dogs, 1 horse, 2 ponies, 1 donkey and 1 capybara.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS