Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land wanted  (Read 1983 times)

Geordie Azza

• Joined Aug 2015
Land wanted
« on: August 06, 2015, 11:16:57 am »
Hi my name is aaron im from Newcastle upon Tyne & im looking for a nice sized bit of land from 5 acres upwards to rent i want to live a pretty simple life like him off the tv show river cottage, i want to be able to build a nice log cabin on the land & use solar & wind power have access to fresh water & raise livestock on the land & have upto 6 large polly tunnels to grow fruit & veg all year round i would like to do a deal with land owner on a share of the money i make off selling the livestock fruit & veg.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
Re: Land wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 11:41:40 am »
[quote a pretty simple life like him off the tv show river cottage
[/quote]
Hi and welcome.
Well, I'm afraid Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall lives anything but a simple life! He employs umpteen people to do the work, He's busy earning good money from his TV shows and the River Cottage enterprise, and doubtless has a good 'stash of cash' to boot! He makes it look simple but you 'don't see behind the scenes'.
Sorry to disallusion you, but it's better to have a reality check on things before 'jumping in'.
Having said that, I wish you well and hope you succeed, but do a lot of research first - i.e. possible costs, planning consents needed, animal welfare regulations, DEFRA requirements of the feeding, marking, movement and recording of livestock, etc,. etc,. This website is a good place to start, there is vast amounts of information under the various topics.
Good Luck.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 01:25:14 pm »
Welcome!
I think the biggest challenge you may have is finding a piece of land on which you will be allowed to build a log cabin.
Good luck with your venture and let us know how you get on.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:58:31 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

Like those before, whose sentiments I echo - do your homework, get some hands on experience and do the financial costings. Then do them again. But I wish you luck in followig your dream  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:34:18 pm »
We'll all wish you well, but yes, finding some land you can use let alone that you can build a home on... not an easy one.

I'm further west than you, in Cumbria, and you certainly couldn't live off growing veg over here - land's too wet and too cold.  You might do better over your side, a bit warmer and a bit drier.  If you're not tied to the Newcastle area, you might look to be somewhere even better suited to growing?   Yorkshire, or even all the way down south?

If you haven't already done some, can I suggest you might want to WWOOF (volunteer to help on organic farms and smallholdings, in exchange for bed and board) to see what others manage to do?  There are WWOOF hosts all over the UK (and the world), from people growing veg in a large garden through to full scale commercial organic farms, and all points in between.

Best of luck - and enjoy your journey  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »
Time to stop dreaming and do some research .... plenty of good advise from others here .... the 'Good Life' really involves a good bank account or inheritance , much research and get some practical experience if you haven't already ....   wwoof or helpX websites are a good place to start.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS