Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have run out of room in my pot.  (Read 6314 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
I have run out of room in my pot.
« on: August 05, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »
It;s funnier in a peter sellers pink panther voice..

I only went to get a few veg but the onions got bigger, the parsnips are big enough, carrot thinings, broad beans, PSB, cabbage, toms, courgettes (of course, bl**dy courgettes), a few early runners. Some mushrooms and chicken and there's no room for my potatoes... And this pot is big enough to last me three days..do the spuds seperate and it'll last me 5 days....

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: I have run out of room in my pot.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:36 pm »
Sounds good to me! A recipe for bloody courgettes. Slice courgettes into olive oil, add crushed garlic, Cook gently until softish, crush up a bit with a fork and add double cream. Turn up heat and boil until thick. Remove from heat and stir in strong cheddar and Parmesan. Stir into cooked pasta and serve. (HFW's recipe, nicked from Sophie Grigson's mother, Jane)
Another recipe
Again, slice some courgettes and cook gently in olive oil with crushed garlic. When softened put in the bottom of a dish. Whisk together eggs and cream and stir in some good, strong cheese, put in a hottish oven until browned on top. Serve with salad ( someone elses recipe, can't remember whose)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 10:08:40 pm »
Any recipes for bloody courgettes without bloody garlic?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »
The simplest cougette recipe is seasonedplain flour(lots of pepper) slice the cougettes thin, coat both sides and fry...or make is a real seasoned batter which works well with jalopenos. Or stretch out your stew and casserole with them..

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:20:30 pm »

Leave the bloody garlic out! You can also slice courgettes thinly, dry them, store them in jars and use them as nibbles or snacks for children.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 09:52:43 am »

Leave the bloody garlic out! You can also slice courgettes thinly, dry them, store them in jars and use them as nibbles or snacks for children.

:roflanim:   poor children

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:13:09 am »

:roflanim:   poor children

My children were never that naughty!  :roflanim:
Anne

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 10:24:52 am »
Try them, they are lovely. (or maybe I mistreated my children!)

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
Get a BIGGER pot.....but then you might need a bigger stove...uses more gas/electric/whatever.......bigger bills.....oh dear, what to do???  ;D .

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 03:33:16 pm »
The problem with a bigger pot is either freezing portions or it ends up too long in the fridge for even my bulletproof guts to cope with it :)
I could do with a bigger pot come apples stewing time - I love stewed apples and always end up with loads frozen. One of those corer/peeler machines made life way easier.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 06:06:38 am »
Use your jam pan?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:27 am »
I remember jam, and cakes and something called marmalade - lots of sugar...

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:24 pm »
lucky you, lovely fresh veggies. I'm jealous!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 12:10:59 pm »
The problem with a bigger pot is either freezing portions or it ends up too long in the fridge for even my bulletproof guts to cope with it :)
I could do with a bigger pot come apples stewing time - I love stewed apples and always end up with loads frozen. One of those corer/peeler machines made life way easier.

I happen to know a guy ( Me )who does pressure canning /bottling @ 15 , 10 or 5 psi depending on what you are wanting to preserve . You are able to cook and preserve no end of fruit ,veg, fish , flesh & fowl  varieties  and then store them in a cool places just like you store tin cans . They can easily be stored for a year .

Would that method help you store your excess crops?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 12:13:01 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 06:05:14 am »
spuds and onions in sacks in the barn, carrots and parsnips stay in the ground, brassicas can overwinter. Sweetcorn. some peas, broad beans some soft fruit and rhubarb gets frpzen. I did pickle some french beans and gherkins one year. Bad backs means no chest freezer and upright ones have limited space (unless you go industrial). 2 upright freezers cost enough to run.
If you start to factor in costs of electricity to blanche and freeze or even costs of seals and boiling etc then for one or two people it's hardly worth the bother apart from 'a good feeling'

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS