Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tagging  (Read 4072 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Ear tagging
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:47:17 pm »
A friend of mine has set up this petition asking for a change in the law regarding identifying goats. Please sign.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-cruelty-of-ear-tagging-goats

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Ear tagging
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »
Signed  :thumbsup:

Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:31:49 pm »
Signed :wave:l

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:35:13 pm »
Done.  I wish them well. EU rules heavily enforced here, almost impossible to change.  Don't see many tagged goats running wild on Crete, but they all know their owner"

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 06:46:19 pm »
Signed, I hate tags too and generally only tag the pigs before they go to slaughter, likewise the lambs as for little Mac the goat.....well maybe I'll do it when there are no flies about, or when it's not raining, or the suns not shining or it's not going to snow or it's not too windy, so hard to get the perfect weather for it  :innocent:
Anne

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:42 pm »
Signed. Have only had my babies 3 weeks and worry about the tags getting caught and ruining their beautiful ears.
________
Caroline

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:58:35 pm »
We have white pigs and tattoo but tags are the only defra recognised identification. If goats weren't tagged what would people prefer to do? Tattoo or notch? Tattoo pliers and numbers aren't cheap.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:26:19 am »
Signed... ;D :excited:

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »
My goats were all registered and in the herd book and had to have tattoos in the ear. As members of the county goat club we had the facility for free tattooing, as the club had purchased (from the subs) the pliers and the changeable templates for individual identities. In my opinion the tattoo is a quite sufficient permanent identity mark when done properly. Considering what goats can get up to and how they can play, I don't think ear tags are a good idea, but I'm afraid we are bound by the EU regulations. It's certainly worth a try to get a change (possibly on welfare grounds?) but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:32 pm »
The BGS were asking to be informed of any problems with tagging and types of tags if anyone is interested. When I had goats mine were tattooed in both ears but when I moved I had to put a tag in the older ones that didn't have two tattoos . They were adult goats and aged so I never had a problem other than one just dropping out !! After several years. :wave:

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:33:11 am »
Signed, in this day and age there is no need to tag anything apart from criminals.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 07:39:02 pm »
Signed and shared on a couple of large facebook groups
In this day and age you would think they could be chipped like dogs, job done
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:47:34 pm by mart6 »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 11:47:27 pm »
Microchipping would seem to be the sensible option.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS