Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tractor driving lessons  (Read 12852 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
tractor driving lessons
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:52:03 am »
im wanting to get a licence for driving a tractor in the future,
just been on the net and cannot find any suitable courses.
all the courses we have seen says you must have your own machine and they presume
that you have allready past your test and you are looking for a perticular skill to learn
on them.
we live in tenby area in pembrokishire,
thanks for any reply ;)
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: tractor driving lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:19:00 am »
My son recently took his tractor driving test.  He is 16 and I looked everywhere for some information on the test and/or to try and find an instructor...but unfortunately couldn't find anything.

You will need your own tractor (or borrow one) to take the test.   At the test, they go through all the things you would be tested on for a practical car driving test.  The examiner does  the highway code questions and asks about different things to do with the tractor etc. Then tells you where to drive and he watches and follows where necessary.  Hill starts, three point turns, reversing round corner etc.

The ironic part of all this is that you aren't allowed out on the road to practice before the test, the first time you can drive on the road is to get to the test. 

If you already have a car driving licence then I would think that taking the tractor test wouldn't be too much different.

Hope this helps. 

If you want to know more about the test send me a pm and I'll get Rob (my son) to write back.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:04:49 pm »
that sounds great,
blimey i dont know where i would get my hands on a tractor!
i pursume your son past?
well done him.
its mad that your not allowed on the road till the test ???
anyway thanks for reply
langdon ;)
Langdon ;)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:22:14 pm »
Yes, he passed.  Very proud Mum here!

Good luck with yours.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »
Hey up Langdon I have closed my eyes and I can see you .Go to www.Quadtrac.com Then scroll down to quadtracs info L/C scroll down.There is one lives opposite or just down the road from HARA that was at Killingholme Best thing is make friends with a farmer they will do most legal things for cash
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:21:20 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »
When i as at bishop burton college, they did tractor driving courses for the students, and maybe outsiders (altho not too sure on that 1)
Maybe you could try enquire at a local agricultural college??
Im soon going to do my trailer test and that is at askham bryan college near by
Danielle

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:38:08 pm »
I've never heard of this.  D'you need to take a tractor test if you've passed a normal driving test? 

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:34:13 pm »
I'm not sure whether it has changed but when I passed my driving test (1983) I was then automatically given the appropriate licence for tractors, towing and minbus driving -I 'think' this has changed because I understand that passing a driving test now does not automatically allow you to tow for example - so I'm not sure about tractors. If you check your driving licence itself it will list the classes of vehicle for which you have a full licence.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:19:23 pm »
It has changed, because if you pass your test now, you are not allowed to tow a trailer. It changed in 98 or 99 I think.

Beth

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 12:54:54 pm »
you won't find anything on the net.

got an local agriculture college near you. if you have ring them

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 12:52:00 am »
on a new driving licence (i passed in 01) you can drive tractor with a trailer up to about 24 tonne but its to do with the axels in certain position but with new licence your allowed to tow a trailer up to 750kgs as that was my job on the drains i had to tow the traffic lights about so ring up dvla would be best advice and let us all know how you get on good luck matty

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:45:11 am »
You don't need any license or to attend a course to drive a tractor off road or if you've passed your car test, although if you've never been near a tractor a basic course run by any local agricultural college is a great idea.

Once you have gained your entitlement either through taking the tractor test or a car test you can drive any tractor with a trailer provided your total weight is under 24.39 tonnes. Without a car license you are limited to a width of 2.45 metres and the trailer must be close coupled (whatever that means!). The trailer laws introduced in 1997 don't apply to tractors.

To be honest unless you need to drive a tractor at 16 I would wait and take the car test a year later.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:18 pm »
You don't need any license or to attend a course to drive a tractor off road or if you've passed your car test, although if you've never been near a tractor a basic course run by any local agricultural college is a great idea.

Once you have gained your entitlement either through taking the tractor test or a car test you can drive any tractor with a trailer provided your total weight is under 24.39 tonnes. Without a car license you are limited to a width of 2.45 metres and the trailer must be close coupled (whatever that means!). The trailer laws introduced in 1997 don't apply to tractors.

To be honest unless you need to drive a tractor at 16 I would wait and take the car test a year later.

i think close coupled means the wheels placement like you get hay carts with wheels front and back then you get a dumper cart with twin axle at the rear i think not 100% you can drive that max weight with close couple wheels but i maybe wrong i only drive an old mf35 with a little tipper flatbed for getting a bale or 2 on it not been pulled yet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS