Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scabby ears  (Read 4446 times)

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
Scabby ears
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:08:27 pm »
Hi, We have 9 weaners about 3 months old or thereabouts. 3 Oxford Sandy & Blacks, 3 Middle white x and 3 Pietrain x Saddlebacks. The 3 MWs have had scabs and cracks on the back of their ears for a few weeks. The Pietrains now have too and they only arrived 11 days ago. The OSBs are fine. Any ideas ??? They don't seem to get any worse or bother them, but I'm worried the flies may start to bother them as the summer goes on.
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Scabby ears
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:18 am »
I dont have any real idea, except perhaps its sun burn?  Try rubbing in some thing like Germoline.  You could spray with purple spray to keep flies off.  Is it possibly caused by fleas, (not meant to be insulting they all get them this time of the year).  HM

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 04:51:15 pm »
I would suggest the sun as well.  Try sun cream on those areas and be careful of more sun.  Move to France, Normandy specifically, and all they will need is 2 pairs of boots and an umbrella!

Kate  :) :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Jayhawk

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Duns
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 06:17:48 pm »
Thanks both, I did wonder about sunburn. We have a few hot days :D I think a spray would be a good idea anyway. Looking out of the window here in SE Scotland, I don't need to move to Normandy to need an umbrella ;D
Old age is a privilege denied to too many

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 06:27:04 pm »
I was feeling fed up and loggedon to be cheered up, now I am crying with laughter.  (in a nice way)

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 02:43:20 pm »
Hi, I would think it was sunburn too but my Gossies are very jealous now, they are wading in mud here in Brittany!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carole

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS