Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bruised udder  (Read 2847 times)

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
bruised udder
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:44:16 am »
I have a goat who kidded for the first time this weekend in a stall by her self. By the time i found her the next morning the babys were born. During the birthing process though the mum had kicked at her udder until she had severly bruised near the tip. The teat is now swollen and cacked. I've started using an udder balm but the bruise worried. Its difficult to milk out and i'm worried she will end up with mastitus

should i dry that half off now or just keep milking ............suggestions

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: bruised udder
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »
I would talk to the vet, not takin chances with mastitis.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: bruised udder
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:54:53 pm »
I would keep milking, though I know it won't be easy. Talk to your vet as well- might be an idea to give an antibiotic injection or tube to catch any infection. It's really hard when they are like that, we had one last year who hated having an udder, and kicked it so badly she now has permanent lumps in the udder itself.

Keep using a balm or ointment to help it heal. Even vaseline is good as it doesn't nip if the skin is broken. There are some good aloe creams/ointment out there too.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS