Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone still to cut hay?  (Read 27879 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Anyone still to cut hay?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2015, 08:54:45 am »
couldnt cut as its supposed to rain yet again :rant: I can just see us in Dec without forage :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2015, 09:34:51 am »
It's looking good for baling today here  :fc: :fc: :fc:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
I was supposed to cut four days ago, but everyday it says rain and it never does but I can't risk it. I hate this year, nothing but annoying weather and people who can't seem to tell exactly what the weather will be, in my opinion they should either be sacked or their system nerds updating. :rant:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 10:02:07 am »
I was muttering about bad forcasting yesterday...considering all the supercomputers etc and the forcasts seem to be worse than 40 years ago (or just a selective memory). Perhaps they should just ask airline pilots what it's like mid atlantic and save all the fancy met tools..or ring an irish farmer?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:02 am »
The problem is that the jet stream has been behaving differently over the last 8 years or so to how it had behaved for the preceeding decades.  So at first, the forecasters had no models on which to base predictions.  And, unless the Jetstream is where it is expected to be for the time of year, the models they are using now have only data from the last few years, so the forecasts are of course less accurate.

And actually, reports of actual conditions from airline and other pilots and from aerodromes and weather stations are an important part of the information used by meterorologists ;)

I can recall the day they announced that the latest Cray supercomputer could now calculate the weather for 24 hours ahead with complete accuracy.  The only problem was, it took 25 hours to do so.  All my pals found this hysterically funny; I was the lone voice saying, "You're missing the point.  The point is that they now have enough information in the models to do the calculation and get an accurate result.  Faster computing will come."

I expect that the Cray "supercomputer" which had produced this accurate, but late, forecast was about as powerful as the laptop I am using now!   :D

(And it was 1980 or 1981, if you were interested.  I know because I remember where I was working at the time, and I was there from Sept 1980 to Jan 1982.)

For making hay, we need a four or five day accurate forecast.  These only got really accurate towards the end of the 20th century.  The jet stream started misbehaving around 2006/7, I think - so actually, most farmers have been making hay according to their own weather sense for most of the last x00 years... ;p
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
The jet stream started misbehaving around 2006/7, I think

Ha! Go on, blame the poor ol' jetstream and not the guys modelling it ;D
If memory serves the weather forcasting used to be based on current local obs and look back to see when they last happened and what happened next... rather than a global model and understanding of pattern changes. Reality is that one needs full global sensing from ocean temps and currents onwards and refine a model that works - why the supercomputers get used.
It's like blaming el nino instead of modelling el nino and working it out.
What gets to be fun is looking at the forcasts from other countries - as in their interpretations compared to our met folk interpretations of the data - often significantly different. www.yr.no is generally more optimistic than met office...

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:07 pm »
Our hay is still standing there - haunting me when I look out our sitting room window. I swear its laughing!
Last Monday (3rd) the weather forecast for this week looked hopeful..... however by this Monday the forecast had turned to pretty dire - currently sitting here while it is raining with suggestions that we might get a month's worth of rain today. Oh joy.
Maybe next week.....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 06:27:52 pm »
I'm feeling extremely smug - sorry  :sofa:  Our little bit of hay is all baled, carted and stacked, and in spite of the endless rain it's perfect quality (for primitives).  Our lovely workies took half the afternoon off to help with the work and they really enjoyed it (stacking bales is 3D brickwork  8)).  It means we're not dead on our feet as most years.  :relief:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:57 pm »
I'm feeling extremely smug - sorry  :sofa:  Our little bit of hay is all baled, carted and stacked, and in spite of the endless rain it's perfect quality (for primitives).  Our lovely workies took half the afternoon off to help with the work and they really enjoyed it (stacking bales is 3D brickwork  8) ).  It means we're not dead on our feet as most years.  :relief:

You can go off people.......  :innocent:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 07:29:46 pm »
Years ago I used to make small baled hay, always perfect weather. One year I made so much that it was a squeeze to shut the door to the building, very good year that. :) Am glad though that you have had a good year for hay though fleecewife, I wouldn't wish this year of bad weather in Wales for anyone. Am always happy to hear other people being successful at baling for hay :)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:06 pm »
You must have different weather in your valley - I'm mid wales too near llanfyllin.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2015, 08:57:31 pm »
WBF you could always resort to the old method of grazing standing hay this winter. I had to do this a few winters ago and it was very successful.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2015, 09:17:07 pm »
 :relief:
ditto fleecewife! :thumbsup:

Sorry WBF, I'm only over the hills near Llanidloes can't be that far from you.

Mine was in yesterday by 6.15pm. 
It was cut Saturday evening, rained on sunday night and monday morning then two really good sunny days got it made.
Looks and smells great.

Still another field to do if the weather comes right again but what I've got could be eeked out and the goats can graze the uncut field once the angoras have been shorn in a few weeks if I can't get it made.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:42 pm »
Good luck to everyone still to get it in .

Weather forecasters Pah ! Each and every one has a different outlook.  Sometimes the best forecast is the local old boy down the road , one day forecast for showers , the day of baling , bale it he said it'll not get wet . So we did
it was a dour day with a breeze but no rain , he explained  that with a sw wind the rain would fall on the grampians before it got to the coast , nothing like local knowledge.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:28 pm »
Our two fields cut Monday were baled with literally minutes to spare before the rain started.  :relief:

Big round bales, hay not silage (not wrapped); they'll have to stand out and withstand the rain for a while.  We've got spitty spotty stuff at the mo, that won't harm them.  Heavier forecast for overnight and tomorrow morning, but  :fc: not enough to do damage.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS