Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Donkeys for sale  (Read 5655 times)

charliemoo

• Joined Mar 2010
Donkeys for sale
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »
One yearling jack donkey for sale. traditional grey dun with zebra markings on his legs, red tints around his eyes and ears and an unusual forked cross on his back. ''Eddie'' is a very friendly, inquisitive chap. he's had his feet trimmed by the farrier and is passported ith the donkey breed society. asking £300

One black/ brown jenny with a white belly and muzzle. 2003 born, been running with a coloured stallion so should be in foal, due about june time. ''Lily'' has the sweetest nature, and is 110% to do in every way. my 5 yar old sister can handle her no problem and she loves attention. passported with the DBS asking £750 but open to offers.

i am in mid wales, about and hour from the severn bridge in the Brecon area. please email if you would like more details/ photos etc.  :)

charlie.cowgirl@hotmail.co.uk

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: Donkeys for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:34:33 pm »
Can you post pictures here? I'd love a donkey (and so would my other half especially), but don't think we really have the room, and we're in Scotland so a wee bit too far away. But it'd be nice to see some pictures anyway.  :)

Beth

charliemoo

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:44 pm »
i shall try post a few on here, they are not v recent...need to dig my camera out and dust it off!!

this is eddie last year (at a few months old). he has become more grey but has retained the 'redness' around his ears/ eyes.

the one on the right is lily, taken last summer (how long ago does that feel?! =D )

this is the coloured jack she has been running with:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:49:40 pm »
They're so cute. Very, very nice stallion that Lily is put to as well. Oh well, maybe we'll ask again if the next door field isn't for sale again!

Beth

charliemoo

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:34 pm »
Thank you! he is standing at stud too....  :D

he's standing at about 12.2hh, and i have another, smaller grey donk stallion standing too, also a miniature horse stallion.... think i may need to put another ad up! ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:57:20 pm »
Oh they are lovely. There's a donkey at the caravan site that Dan's folks are staying at and it's lovely. Never considered on before but would now.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 09:59:27 pm »
Will be coming to visit you when you have donkey's Rosemary!

;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:22:55 pm »
Ooooh ......I really, really want a donkey (or two!) but with all the goats and 10 ponies etc. etc.  I really should not have any more pet animals, when I am supposed to be increasing my farm animals, and my OH would go mad if I got donkeys too -although he knows I want some.  Maybe if he saw the pics of these gorgeous donkeys?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
Actually, Dan was very taken with the one at Dunning. If I can't get a companion pony for Smokey, I would definitely consider one.

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:18:27 am »
what are donkeys like on the roads re riding for my 3 girls same as horses but smaller version, temperament?

charliemoo

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:40 am »
They are the same temperament-wise as horses and ponies. the main difference between them is theat donks' coats are not waterproof like a horses. they dont have the waterproof grease in it, so they absolutely need a shelter in their field.
Like you can see from the pic of the coloured stallion, my 5 year old sister rides him no problems. they are on a lead rein, but thats more to the fact of her inexperience. in fact, i've recently returned from spending the winter in Australia- when that pic was taken we were in the middle of a 4 hour ''trek''!-the first time he has had a saddle on in 5 months, and only about the sixth time since he was broke!
the only thing about horses is that they may have a smaller stride- i've not got any small horses to compare speeds!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:41 pm »
I was told that donkeys are excellent for children to learn to ride on as they have a more comfortable gait than ponies, but I don't know if this is true.

SuzyJ

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Bulgaria
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:37:16 pm »
Charliemoo beautiful donkeys, the coloured jack looks fab.

I love donkeys and the first animal we bought in Bulgaria was a jenny. She'd had a hard life and is enjoying semi retirement now. Our Maggie's very sweet but can be a bit temperamental if she doesn't get her own way lol Donkeys do indeed have a shorter and possibly less active gait than horses/ponies
British Expat trying to live a better life in Bulgaria

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS